Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've searched my way around a good bit gathering what info I can on swapping out front and rear ends of my '80 CX500C with my '79 GL1000. Checking to see if anyone can clarify a couple things for me?

From what i can tell, the front end is fairly straight forward, use appropriate All Balls bearings and good to go, no fabrication. Is this impression correct?

Next, for a rear swap, we'd be looking at some break caliper mounting fab as well as a spacer. Otherwise, the final drive will bolt up. Is this correct?

That's all I got!
Thanks for the look and help.
Pat

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,004 Posts
You'll need to shim the CX500's rear axle to hold the GL1000's wheel. Bearings with the CX ID and GL OD aren't readily available.
There will also be some interference between the final drive's dust shield and a flange on the wheel hub. I've started to explore modifying or swapping the dust shield, but it doesn't look promising. Usually, the flange gets machined off of the hub.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so the rear end is a bit more involved. Perhaps a sleeve to make up for the difference in the barrings? And, looks like I was confused, I'd keep the CX final drive and need to modify the gl1000 hub to make this work. Machining the hub is doable!

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Yes to keeping the CX final drive. That's why you need to use the CX axle.
... and need to modify the gl1000 hub to make this work.
This is what the shim/sleeve is for, at both the bearings and the brake caliper.

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
You might also need a custom spacer between the wheel bearing and final drive. I haven't looked at it for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it, all pretty doable it seems. Would you happen to know if this would work with a GL1100 wheel as well?

·
Registered
11,004 Posts
Not sure. I was setting up for a spoked wheel. If they use the same bearings and the final drive is compatible, it should work.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,234 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

That said, the GL1000 is not a bike known for great handling so changing to GL1000 forks probably won't do much except increase the weight your engine has to push around. Add in that the GoldWing's rear wheel & tire might be a tight fit in the CX swingarm and this sounds a lot like it may make the bike work less well after all that effort.

·
Registered
79 CX500, 80 CX500
4 Posts
I am actually in the process of doing this myself, for the front end the triple tree stem on the GL1000 is slightly longer but in all other respects are exactly the same. The All balls bearing set for the CX500 is a direct fit for the 76' GL1000 Stem all that is required is a spacer to be created to lift the bottom bearing off the bottom brace, don't quote me, don't have my measurement in front of me but I seem to remember it is something like 3/8 or 5/8 spacer is all that is required. Additionally, some tabs will need to be removed from the CX500 frame to allow for clearance. I Will attempt to upload pics if that would help, let me know.

On the rear end, I am still investigating the conversion, in my case, I am attempting to use the entire rear swingarm, wheel (wire wheel from 76'), disc brakes, and final drive from a 76' GL1000. A couple of considerations for my setup, the final drive gearing will be different (basically resulting in the lower top end, faster acceleration) the rear swingarms between the CX500 and GL1000 are different lengths. The CX has a length of 19" from pivot to center of the wheel (axle) whereas the GL1000 has a measurement of 18", then there is the width of the swingarms to consider (this is where I am currently) the CX swingarm is considerably smaller than the GL swingarm which measures 11 inches this barely fits between the frame. Best guess at this time is that I should be able to make work.

Good luck with your project

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,234 Posts
using the gl1000 front end a rear wheel is a quick cheap way of getting spokes
You know how I feel about wire spokes. I've retired too many wheels because of broken or badly rusted spokes and gone too many Km/miles on Comstars with no problems to ever consider wire spokes an improvement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts