Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old Okie is back, still have Marshall Franklin's blue bike. I am getting it ready for my grandson to ride.
I have been having complete electrical failure at times. The bike has the spark plug cap mod, the main fuse mod and an electric fan. The failure seems to have been in the fuse holder. not making good contact with the fuse. While checking the fuse holder I noticed the fuse holder and adjoining wires were hot. Measured temp of 170+f. Is this normal?? The fuse has never burned out. Bike starts and runs fine. I am 83 years old and nmearly blind so I no longer ride. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Hi, Okie!
Assuming you've replaced the fuse holder, does the new one get hot, too? The same corrosion that could cause intermittent loss of contact would also lead to increased resistance and excess heat.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
If you haven't damaged the wires you may be able to fix it by removing the fuse, cleaning the contacts in the fuse holder, gently squeezing the contacts so that they are tight again and installing a new fuse.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you haven't damaged the wires you may be able to fix it by removing the fuse, cleaning the contacts in the fuse holder, gently squeezing the contacts so that they are tight again and installing a new fuse.
I have replaced the fuse holder and cleaned all the connectors in that area and it seems to be OK now. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Type your comments after [/QUOTE].

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Old Okie I have fixed your post. When replying to a post click the reply button at the bottom of the post then as Randall said, add your comments after the [/quote].

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did replace the fuse holder with one I had in my parts pile and I cleaned the connectors
around the R&R. I am not happy with the install. I did not have a proper connector so the install is temporary. The problem is solved, no more hot wires. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts