Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

Was riding out of town last weekend to go to a sweet new Brewery/Restaurant that opened up.
Was cruising at 55 no problems, when all the sudden all spark just cut out.
I coasted to the side of the road where I could not get the thing going again.

I knew pretty quickly that my spark had just cut out for some reason.
Attempted bypassing the Kill Switch and Regulator but still no dice.

After trucking it home and doing a proper Stator Test, I found that my Low Speed Source Coil was shot.
I decided to order up the Rae-San Hall Effect Unit and bring my CX back into 2016.

Im pretty excited to get it and install it. Just ordered today so hopefully the Postman is feeling like speeding the delivery along.
I will report back on the install and how much more I love my CX when she is cruising down the highway once more.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Definitely interested in hearing how the install goes and how it performs. I recently picked up a 80 CX500 Deluxe parts bike that's a candidate for the Rae--Sans fix/upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I received the part a few days ago (which was completely reasonable timeline and expected)..

I was able to install it yesterday and finish today followed by a short couple jaunts around my neighborhood. (will take it out tomorrow for a more substantial run).
Here are my takeaways of the installation and riding so far.

1) Installation manual was incredibly thorough and easy to follow.
2) Was able to drop the engine on a jack and move it enough to remove the water bottle and access the Pulsar cover.
3) The two screws holding the pulsars in stripped instantly and made it a pain to remove. I ended up using a 'Grabit' to remove them.. Which worked amazingly!! Definitely recommend.
4) Once those were out, it was a matter of minutes and the Rae-San hall effect unit was installed and I was good to go.

5) Upon riding (very little so far)... I immediately notice a difference in the acceleration!! I can open the throttle and it accelerates smoothly all the way up the band.
From 3500-7000 is butter. (I used to have some stuttering/slowing between 3500-5000.. It's gone)

LOVE the RAE-SAN so far and will update when I have taken it a bit further!
Do the upgrade. 100% worth it and easy to install! (especially if you dont strip out the screws).

·
Registered
388 Posts
The screws on my advance pulsar stripped instantly as well.

Lord only knows why they love the JIS/Phillips screws so much. I had the same problem on my tach cable, speedo drive, just about all of them lock down super tight after 30 years of vibration.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So I received the part a few days ago (which was completely reasonable timeline and expected)..

LOVE the RAE-SAN so far and will update when I have taken it a bit further!
Do the upgrade. 100% worth it and easy to install! (especially if you dont strip out the screws).
How much is the rae san upgrade? Im tearing into my engine this weekend and it might be worth it to do while its open

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up paying right around 170$ shipped to my door.
100% worth it.

Shipping to get all the way here to CA will take 6-10 days. I got mine in 7 from the day Ray shipped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts