Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok having an issue with this bike....I want it to be dependable before registered,took it up the street 20 or so times and it road awesome started up like it just came out of the box,went to park it and oil light came on so I shut it down.started an hour later and it idled way lower than should have been.After cutting fuel line and putting a purilator filter on and adding seafoam I had this "brilliant" idea to play with the throttle stop knob and it was all downhill from there. bike started idling all over the place and eventually stalled and would not start,figuring it was the carbs, I took them off "1st time ever".started to disassemble them a bit and found that the air flow stop gaskets seem to be ok/bowls to not seem to be too dirty "minor rust stains in metal/pistons move up and down fine/float bowls are not hung up/and jets seem to be ok. After a quick blow-down with airgun through all hoses and parts I assembled them again,put them back on the bike and fuel started leaking from the right hand side close to the fuel intake and the exhaust was blowing out alot of smoke,still an off-wack idle and eventually stalled and wont start again.Now I am thinking they need to be taken off again and sent to a professional but I'm not sure if it is the carbs that are the problem.....any suggestions would be awesome this is my first bike and I feel like im hitting another wall here....Ive done so much to this bike already, I just want it to be reliable

please help

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is there any oil in it? Is there water in the oil?

I would send my carbs to larry! I tried to do minewith a mechanic buddy and i still dont think all the kinks are out, wish i just had larry do it in the first place!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes there is oil in it,just did an oil and filter change along with...new battery/solenoid/signal relay/rear lights/throttle cable/clutch cable and many other new parts along with very pretty brand new paint job....maybe it could be the dirty air filter? does larry live near ny or can I get a quote from him to re-do them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.