Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been a member here since buying my CX500 6 years ago now and am ready to resurrect it, so I figure I should say hi and make sure I am on the right path with my build. So the the bike is a 79' custom? that I got as a rolling frame and engine, not running, because I fell in love with the look of the engine layout and have been slowly gathering up the pieces to make it whole again. I am going for a cross between a cafe and scrambler since 1/2 the roads in Montana are full of gravel most of the year. I have already replaced the radiator(smashed) gauges(missing) controls(missing) deluxe tank(missing) got it running(sort of) new c-racer seat and swapped out the original wheels for the 78' style 19" front 18" rear wheels. Next on the to get list is a Murrays carb kit, h-box eliminators, rectifier, 7volt regulator and a new ignition system (thinking Rae-San?)

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but I'd think if that tank fitted the frame directly...its not a custom frame.....
"Fit" is a loosely held term, someone had previously cut the rear tank/seat mounts off the frame and there was no post for rubbers in the front, just some threaded holes about where they would have been. I made some new post and added a couple of generic bushings and the tank slipped into the front fine but seems to be sitting high in the back, but without a rear bracket for reference it is hard to tell. There is no previous history known on the bike since it was part of a huge lot of vintage project bikes a local shop bought from somewhere. They cherry picked the best to fix up and threw this one out in the scrap pile when I saw it and negotiated a fair price to rescue it.

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do those cherry bomb mufflers sound?
Not bad, the ignition is half toast and carbs are cranky on a good day so the bike does not run the best yet, but they have deep but mellow tone at idle and a raspy bark when revving so far but that might change once the h box comes out and the rest gets straightened out. Once it's running proper and if I like the final sound I will trim those tips shorter and blend them to the muffler bodies so they have a clean look to them.

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what model cherry bomb are those? Do you know the size and if there is any offset? I have some of the HD mufflers but they seem like they weigh 20 lbs a piece, are the CBs light weight?
they are thrush brand I bought from the local Napa a few years back, thrush #24210. 1.75 inlet and outlet with no offset, 12" long/3" diam. case. I do not remember the weight off hand but the net list them as 3.8 lbs each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts