Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been a member here since buying my CX500 6 years ago now and am ready to resurrect it, so I figure I should say hi and make sure I am on the right path with my build. So the the bike is a 79' custom? that I got as a rolling frame and engine, not running, because I fell in love with the look of the engine layout and have been slowly gathering up the pieces to make it whole again. I am going for a cross between a cafe and scrambler since 1/2 the roads in Montana are full of gravel most of the year. I have already replaced the radiator(smashed) gauges(missing) controls(missing) deluxe tank(missing) got it running(sort of) new c-racer seat and swapped out the original wheels for the 78' style 19" front 18" rear wheels. Next on the to get list is a Murrays carb kit, h-box eliminators, rectifier, 7volt regulator and a new ignition system (thinking Rae-San?)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Hi; welcome.
Your bike may be a standard...given the tank shape-though if you want to sure you can check the frame number.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
The tank and wheels are not original. It's a Frankenmaggot.

• Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes but I'd think if that tank fitted the frame directly...its not a custom frame.....
"Fit" is a loosely held term, someone had previously cut the rear tank/seat mounts off the frame and there was no post for rubbers in the front, just some threaded holes about where they would have been. I made some new post and added a couple of generic bushings and the tank slipped into the front fine but seems to be sitting high in the back, but without a rear bracket for reference it is hard to tell. There is no previous history known on the bike since it was part of a huge lot of vintage project bikes a local shop bought from somewhere. They cherry picked the best to fix up and threw this one out in the scrap pile when I saw it and negotiated a fair price to rescue it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
how do those cherry bomb mufflers sound?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,930 Posts
The back of the tank doesn't look high to me. As long as the floor of the tank slopes down at the back enough that all of the fuel in it can get to the petcock it should be fine.

Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake lines (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes that can't be reversed so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
5,876 Posts
CXjay your clutch cable is not fitted correctly. Both nuts at the clutch end of the cable should be above the perch. One touching the perch to adjust free play and the nut above it to lock them both in position on the clutch cable.

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do those cherry bomb mufflers sound?
Not bad, the ignition is half toast and carbs are cranky on a good day so the bike does not run the best yet, but they have deep but mellow tone at idle and a raspy bark when revving so far but that might change once the h box comes out and the rest gets straightened out. Once it's running proper and if I like the final sound I will trim those tips shorter and blend them to the muffler bodies so they have a clean look to them.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
what model cherry bomb are those? Do you know the size and if there is any offset? I have some of the HD mufflers but they seem like they weigh 20 lbs a piece, are the CBs light weight?

·
Registered
1979 CX500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what model cherry bomb are those? Do you know the size and if there is any offset? I have some of the HD mufflers but they seem like they weigh 20 lbs a piece, are the CBs light weight?
they are thrush brand I bought from the local Napa a few years back, thrush #24210. 1.75 inlet and outlet with no offset, 12" long/3" diam. case. I do not remember the weight off hand but the net list them as 3.8 lbs each.

·
Super Moderator
18,930 Posts
I used to have a Thrush hung under the sidecar on my first GL1000 sidecar outfit. Even with the sound coming out the other side of the sidecar from me I got tired of it after a while and changed to a small car muffler.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just looking for mufflers that don't weigh 25 lbs a piece as the HD ones seem too. Don't want crazy loud though, that just annoys everyone!

·
Super Moderator
18,930 Posts
I didn't weigh them but I don't think any of the Harley mufflers I've had weighed that much so I had a look online. I couldn't find much but in a thread on a Harley forum about the weight of aftermarket mufflers someone said
I had the stock mufflers from my "09 RG out in the garage, so I grabbed them and headed for the digital scale. It looks like they weigh 16.2 lbs for the pair.
I also found mentions to the whole exhaust system weighing 25 Lb....

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I may be exaggerating a little but they are hefty. Stock mufflers weren't as heavy as HD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts