Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For over 5-years I've been trying to get my mitts on this bike. The poor gal has been sitting outside for at least 15-years. Here's the story. A local swamp rat bought it sight unseen from who-knows-who. She arrived crated and in pieces with a "new" (second) engine. I'm clueless as to why the second engine, as there is only 5K on the ODO. The swamp rat assembled the entire machine, ran it out to the edge of town and back, parked it, didn't even remove the key, and there she's sat for the past 15-years. Damn strange. I've been busting chops for over 5-years to get this bike. Today my number (and the bike's) came in. She's still sitting outside, but now she's outside in my yard. Why do I do things like this?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now now, we must not be mean towards the toothbrush impaired. After all, they are the ones whom have the iron stashed in their sheds and swamps that we are looking for.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Do you know how much it costs to get yourself separated from a tooth? Let's put it this way, the dentist says open up and picks up his pliers, you've spent more than $75 right there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
'Ol Swamp Rat was separated from his teeth long before I separated him from the '79 Rescue. I'm out $75, have all my teeth, and his CX. I'd sink my teeth into that deal any day.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
For that I'd buy 10, sell one, and have made about $500 bucks....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Awwww man, I was better off before I saw the pics. That bike is way better than I was imagining. Now that I see what comes to those who wait it's going to be hard if I get to see a 80 CX500D that's for sale near me. She's asking $500. It needs a stator and battery and has been sitting 2 years. I called to see how firm she was on the price. She says she'll move some. I'm talking about what I may have to work on and parts aren't easy. She's talking about a couple squirts of carb cleaner, front brake handle feels fine, tires are old but they have good tread, it's worth more because they're rare and about how much she has in it. She had it moved from California. That doesn't add to the value. Anyway she doesn't seem to anxious for me to come see it, doesn't see a good time for that right away. Oh well what can you do, patiently wait I guess.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, wait until the snow starts falling. If the California CX is still there, and it will be coz nobody is going to shell out 5-big ones, unless they're mad for the bike. I'm no expert, but I'd be thinking more like a buck-and-a-half, maybe two, maybe 2.5 if she checks out pretty good. Depends on the mileage and just how much time and $ you're going to have to invest. Although these are pretty tough machines, they're still 30-years old and that translates into a thorough going over, unless you can find one that is done, and then you're talking more like in the 2K+ range. I've got my eye on four CX's, one local, two parts bikes, and one sweetie with no title. They're all over priced 'cept the one local. That one is a '79, sitting in a barn for 2-years, a known owner history, under 20K on the clock, Honda service from day one, fairing, trunk and other goodies. Dude wants a grand, gut tells me he'll take $750-$800. The bike in my avatar was $400, although she needs some parts and attention. I drove her 25-miles to home, so that's a good sign. The '79 Rescue is a mess, really. Complete, except for the gas cap lock and spark plugs not there, but the poor girl is sooo deteriorated from sitting outside for 15-years. Patience man, patience...

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It's great having two CX/GLs as it means you can work on one whilst still having the other on the road.Also if you are like me I enjoy rescuing them and getting then back into decent condition and these bikes are a breeze to work on.One of the best,"Home Mechanic" bikes ever made IMHO

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I just can't get enough of these CX's! The '79 Rescue may end up a parts bike for my '80C. When I got the '80C I bought what I needed on eBay to the tune of $185. Nacelle / ring / lamp, ears, blinkers, F+R brakes, caliper, filters and plugs. I scored good on the parts price, shipping cost sucked. I'm hoping everything mechanically will be okay and I won't have to tear into the '79 Rescue for parts. Although the more I read and the more I become familiar with the bike, the more I realize a 30-year old machine has to be checked fully, top to bottom. The plan for the '79 Rescue was to refurbish the power plant for other uses, and pawn off the remainder of the bike. For now, until the '80C is finished, the '79 Rescue is sprayed down with mix of 75% Kero & 25% ATF, kind of a preservation status. The '79 Rescue is cosmetically pretty rough. If I am to start another project, I think I'd start with something in a little better condition. These CX's seem to just pop out of everywhere. I've got my eye on six different advertised bikes that I'm gonna hold out until they don't sell and scoop up whatever I can. Have trailer, will travel! I'm game for more! They are a fine machine. There's one here at the forum for sale that I really really really want, but that's another thing entirely.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Condoski, thanks for your insight. I really don't understand the market on old motorcycles but, I'm slowly getting a handle on it. I'm thinking there are the cream of the crop, motorcycles that were kept up and are in showroom condition. The discerning eye sees a 100% correct example of a motorcycle just like it came out of the crate. They are rare and there are people looking for them. That means they have a high price. Next are the motorcycles that can be these bikes with work, also rare. Then there are the functional bikes. The new is worn off and they can't be shined up. You can live with the cosmetic flaws or you can cover them up but it can't be mistaken for box stock. There's a lot of these and a lot of variation in this group. Then the project bikes that can be functional bikes with x amount of work and $. Last are the parts bikes.

I want a functional bike. I'm not a polisher. Cosmetics are not that important to me. I have that out of the way, now I have to figure out the prices. I'm set up to see the California bike tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I can assess it and explain to her why I think the motorcycle is worth x amount of $. If it is one of those top, rare bikes I think I will tell her that, I'll put the word out here and I'll let this one go to someone else. She says a stator is $150. I say a battery is $50, $100 for carbs (could be more or less), $130 for tires if they're old and budget $50 for the front brake. Add anything else I see. Subtract all that from $1000 ( what a functional CX500 can be sold for) Pay me something for my work. Give me a cushion for unseen problems that will cost me time and/or money. I can see where $150 to $250 could be fair. If she wants max dollars out of it she needs to put it into top condition herself, or pay someone to do it.

Am I thinking right? I hope I haven't hijacked this thread too bad.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts