Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put aftermarket rotors on their cx500? or do the gl or cb900f or a near year fit? i have a cb900f caliper that works great but i would like to get a semi floating rotor for it to grab onto.

anyone know if this one would work? http://www.oldbikebarn.com/MD1036LS-ROTOR-LEFT-EBC?sc=12&category=52322

or this one? http://www.oldbikebarn.com/EBC-Pro-Lite-Brake-Rotor-MD1082?sc=12&category=52569

looking at pictures of the bikes it says it fits and comparing those to my bike it looks like it would but it doesn't say cx500 under the bikes it fits

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
semi floating, such as an aftermarket rotor possibly made by EBC. i cannot find any aftermarket rotors made for my exact bike but im not sure if that is only because of its single piston caliper having a different bite with/height. But since i have the caliper off of a cb900f would that open me up to rotors that fit a cb900f?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just ordered an EBC brake rotor part#MD1036Ls in the 2012 drag catalog. says it fits 81-82cb900f, 75-82cb750f, 80-82 cb900c, and 80-82 GL1100. which all seem to have comstar wheels and 2 piston calipers. the only thing im worried about is they may have different wheel widths in which case i might just have to run some washers between the wheel and rotor. *FINGERS CROSSED*

·
Registered
192 Posts
Scudman, what calipers do you have? and what size spacers did you use?
I used the F4 calipers. The spacers were machined to fit the wheel with 5 flush 8mm bolts on both sides then I used the Honda large head bolts to attach the disk to the spacer. The spacer was under 1/2" thick and every thing bolts up nice. The wheel through bolt holes were modified with 8 X 1.5mm helicoil inserts even though I made other spacers where the original through bolts were utilized. So far I have put a F4 front end and a 600RR front end on CX500s with the original front wheel. I have the F4 front end on my bike but may be replacing it with a Kawasaki 636 USD front end soon since the front wheel is close to the radiator at this time..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Corection: THe bolts are 8 X1.25mm, purchased at Mcmaster.com. You may want to look at recent GSXR or SV650 disks as they have no offset if caliper clearence becomes an issue

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in for an update when you get the part. Pictures & measurements, please.

I originally thought I had found the same thing, but now not so sure. I think the 81-82 CB900F rotor is the larger 295mm size. If you have a stock CX500 caliper, it is probably 276mm. What year bike/rotor do you have?

It blows me away how difficult it is to find measurements for various rotors online. I would think with all the cafe bikes out there somebody would have posted a chart by now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm in for an update when you get the part. Pictures & measurements, please.

I originally thought I had found the same thing, but now not so sure. I think the 81-82 CB900F rotor is the larger 295mm size. If you have a stock CX500 caliper, it is probably 276mm. What year bike/rotor do you have?

It blows me away how difficult it is to find measurements for various rotors online. I would think with all the cafe bikes out there somebody would have posted a chart by now.
Here is the front end pix. I have a print of the spacers but unless you have the F4 front end they will not work.

[attachment=2506:steam punk 1.jpg]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, i just talked to my drag guy, and it was on back order and is now on its way
updates soooon!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so first the rotor was on back order then my bike was in apple valley and im in huntington, tomorrow morning they will be in the same place and ill post how everything goes tomorrow. hopefully everything will go as planned and ill post exactly what part numbers and parts were used

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

same diameter

same offset

as you can see in this picture above the friction zone for the new rotor is will only accept the 2 piston caliper no the original single piston one

no clearance issues other than the little rubber boot around my speedo cable rubbed a bit (not shown in this picture)bit i just trimmed the boot with a razorblade and it fit perfect

i also used a scotch bright pad on the inner aluminum carrier to get rid of that "pot metal" diecast surface

parts used: from the top down

1. stock or equal aftermarket cx500 master cylinder

2. i recommend a steel braided brake like

the above is optional so mroe importantly...

3. 2 piston caliper off of a cb900F

4. EBC brake rotor MD1036LS for the left side rotor MD1036RS for the right side rotor

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Great info! This is pinned now!

I may end up using something like this when I run an OEM rim with GSXR750 forks. Hrm.....

Charles.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.