Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to do this? I have a set of GL dual disc forks and want to use the 78' wheel, but the wheel is setup foe single discs. Anyone know whos bike this is or the tricks to do it?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
The bikes across the pond were produced with dual brakes. I know one guy that bought the right fork tube and brake assembly off the eBay sites for over seas.

However, it doesn't look to me like the forks in the picture are stock 78 forks unless they just left the dust shield off them. The calipers look right though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am modifing one at this time. Lots of machining as the bolts for the one disk are not in line with the holes on the other side of the disk. I am using the Comstar bolts to hold the 2 machined plates together then bolting the discs to the plates. The disks are from a 600rr 320mm.

·
Registered
492 Posts
CB400N forks with dual disc setup (1978-79) will fit perfectly. They can be bought on eBay, and a couple of vendors even have them new. These forks are a direct swap-over and are only slightly different in cosmetic finish, if you are a purist.

Michael

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm sure you want a simple swap? I think the CB900 front end will work with a Comstar already in place? I made up my own 2.15" x 18" original pattern Comstar. I think they have the best cleanest look. Hope this clicks to enlarge?

Cheers, 50gary

50gary

Not to steal the thread but I just noticed you have a spin on oil filter!

Was that stock or was it something you did to it?

Mine is a 1978 and it has the metal housing with the filter inside.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,108 Posts
The GL1000 wheel fits like glove! No mods needed except for the black trim on the spokes.
What forks are you using?

R

·
Registered
851 Posts
50gary

Not to steal the thread but I just noticed you have a spin on oil filter!

Was that stock or was it something you did to it?

Mine is a 1978 and it has the metal housing with the filter inside.
Mine is also 1978, no I didn't make the adapter. Once you go to the spin on filter adapter you'll never go back it's nice. Made by the Randak (sp) guy. When I made my headers I made sure I could have room for the spin-on filter.

Cheers, 50gary

Click to enlarge

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have GL forks on the bike right now. The 78' GL1000 wheel works great. I am thinking of doing another cx with a late model front end. 50gary can you give details on your convertion? Which head bearings worked? Did you make the adaptor for the wheels? I love the 78' wheel on these bikes!

Deniz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.