Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Speedo and Tach are not working on my new to me '78 CX500 and figuring I would eliminate the possiblity of it being cable related I bought new Tach and Speedo cables.

Well, I replaced the Speedo cable and it had no effect. Could I have possibly done something wrong on install?

I tried to make sure the cable end was engaged when I attached it at the speedo and I ensured the blade was in the slot for the speedo drive at the front wheel.

I immediately saw one cause for the Tach being non-functional...

I found that the Tach didn't have a cable and the PO told me the tach had problems...so I figured it would need replaced.

It might be OK and the lack of a cable may be it's problem.

We'll see this weekend when I get a chance to work on it.

If I need a new Speedo, then what years work for the '78 CX500? I'm presuming the GL500 isn't compatible and that at least '78 and '79 CX500 speedo and tachs are compatible.

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
first of all why dont you pull the wheel off the front and check the drive unit theres a washer like thing that has 2 ears on it that goes in the drive unit and theres a chance that they are not in right or the ears got bent so they wont work

i went thru 3 speedos to find out about that washer part

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i also forgot to add that you might want to disconnect the cable from the speedo and spin the wheel and if the cable does spin then it is a speedo problem and if the cable doesnt spin then look into the other part

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I saw two full sets on the eBay website in the UK a while back - little cowling and all. Not everything listed on eBay appears on the U.S. website, sometimes you've got to hit some of the others manually by finding the correct URL into there.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Achille, Lucky, and marshallf3,

Thanks for the tips and info.

I'm better armed to diagnose and hopefully solve the mystery.

USA Ebay only has a tach for the '78 but I have a spare tach. I'll check the UK ebay website and set a search for '78 CX500 speedometer there...

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A lot of the stuff on the UK site was mph, a lot on the australian site was kph

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some of the clocks (speedo and tachs) in the console face are from '79.

So, is the '78 a one year only deal? If so, why?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The '78 used enclosed instruments, sort of built into the cowling. I have a set that you could have for $30 shipped to AZ. email me if you are interested and want detail/pics. motorcycleguy DOT rich AT gmail DOT com

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, too little sleep and I was using the british speak for instruments/gauges...

that really wasn't clear.

The '78 has the fairing in the US. I'm not sure if the '79 did or not. The bikes I'm seeing for sale on the UK ebay site have the same face and console/instrument panel outline for the '78 and '79; as if they both have the bikini fairing (maggot).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.