Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have another build thread but I have a few CX500D’s. Some might say I have an addiction. Well I picked this one up in Seattle about two months ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it loaded up and back to the house. To strip it and get it running.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was wondering about the Std. vs Deluxe in '78. Wasn't the standard only available in '78? That's a question, i don't know.

·
Registered
624 Posts
BTW, what makes a deluxe different?

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
There was no Deluxe (or Custom) in the 1978 model year.
The original CX500 ("Standard") was available in North America in 1978 and the first part of 1979. Honda pulled it from the market mid-year.
Like the new Custom and Deluxe, the '79 Standard got a rectangular MC reservoir and larger, flat faced turn signals. Unlike the new models, it retained the pressed steel spoked Comstar wheels, but without the black plastic rivet covers. It also traded gold colored trim highlights for the 1978's silver. The Deluxe seat has a more prominent step than that of the Standard.
Except for a slight difference in rake (to balance the 16" rear wheel), the Deluxe frame is identical to the standard CX500. Like the Custom, it has aluminum spoked Reverse Comstar wheels and a traditional head light, in lieu of the original CX500 " maggot mask."

Randall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts