Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by stating that I am a complete noob regarding this sort of trouble shooting. So please bear with me.

Since I purchased my bike (about 1.5 years ago), I noticed that I would experience a loss of power after riding for about 20 or so miles. Initially I thought the problem was in the fuel system, but after some maintenance in that regard the problem still persisted. Last fall the bike was having a progressively harder time starting and now the bike won't start at all. Does the issue sound electrical? my concern is that it's the CDI or the Stator. Does anyone know if the issues I've described above sound related to one of these areas?

Additionally, I've pulled the CDI from the bike and attempting to follow the testing/ohming instructions I've found in an old, online service manual PDF. As near as I can tell I'm following the instructions as closely as I can, but I'm just not getting any real readings off of the unit at all. Is this indicative that the unit is toast? Or does anyway know of any more detailed, step by step instructions for testing the unit?

·
Super Moderator
3,264 Posts
The CDI units require equipment beyond a basic multimeter to test. What are you testing it with?

Run the stator test:

Stator Test | CX500info.com

...and see what it says. Instructions are linked to at the top of that page if you need them.

Define "some maintenance" to the fuel system? What did you do regarding cleaning the carbs?

Do you have spark on both sides?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm borrowing what appears to be a fairly standard, albeit heavy duty multimeter that tests ohm, amps and volts. What else would I need for the CDI?

As per the fuel system maintenance, I completely disassembled the carbs and cleaned them then rebuilt them with this kit from Randakks: Honda CX500 & Variants - Randakk Master Carb Overhaul Kit® | Randakk's Cycle Shakk. Additionally I checked the gas tank for rust ( didn't find any) but installed an inline fuel filter as a precaution. I've also cleaned my air box and replaced the filter.

I do have what appears to be a fairly healthy spark on both sides, though the right side appears to be subtley weaker than the left. I'll,run that Stator test sometime tomorrow. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
21,459 Posts
Honda used two types of very expensive, very obsolete meter on these. I forget one of their names but one is a Kowa. With a normal multimeter you will not get the same readings.

The only real way for the average schmuck to test a CDI unit is by substitution with a known good unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so I just did some ohm testing on the Stator and the Ignition Coils. The cx500info.com tool says the stator is ok, though some of it's coils may be faulty, as the 9/8 reading was slightly high.

I tested the resistance in the coils and found the following:
- Left Coil: 7.6 k ohms
- Right Coil: 7.89 k ohms

From what I've read both of these are on the high side as the reading is supposed to be approximately 7.6k ohms. Is this a problem?

Is there anything else I should test, or should I seriously start considering an Ignitech unit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts