Honda CX 500 Forum banner

'78 CX500 missing airbox

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  guelli02 
#1 ·
Well, search continues... was supposed to buy a CX500 last week, but guy sold it on me. :S

Looking at another one, and from how it reads, I think it's the same one. Person who bought it realized she was too small to drive it. :D

Anyways, says the gas line is disconnected, carbs/tank need cleaning, side covers missing (assuming that's the plastic parts on either side of the battery) and says that the rubber airbox attachment is missing.

Do I need the airbox? can it just be left off and replaced with a cone air filter instead?

ie.
http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-customization-modifications/17854-found-another-pod-filter.html

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Thanks for the link.... though replacing the carbs for me isn't happening. I've never driven a bike before so, maybe down the road I'll spend more but for now just want to make it run and learn to drive it before winter when I dismantle it. :D

Was looking at the pods which I like the looks of, as well as the the velocity stacks... though from what I gather using either will cause some rejetting and tuning issues, but still, looks better and cheaper than buying a used airbox off eBay only to replace it by Spring anyways.

#6 ·
Oh ya... forgot to mention that... Canadian. :D

Kinda kills it sometimes when it comes to getting stuff online cheap... not only is there shipping, but, then you get hit with duty, and sometimes it gets stuck at the border an extra week or two in limbo.

If not jetted properly, it should still run correct? Just rough or not optimal... but enough to drive around the back yard (3 acres) to learn the basics of driving?

I want to learn a bit but also make sure the thing works or not before I rip it apart. That way if the engine needs work I can do it before I put the bike together again.

#8 ·
Well, bought the bike yesterday... it's not the entire box that's missing just the 2 rubber boots that connect to the carbs. Posted online to see if anyone has any, and the only response I had (ironically) was to say try the CX500 Forum. :D

Anyone have those two rubber parts kickin' about?

Otherwise, I'm half convinced that radiator hose or something would do the trick given how short a distance/curve it is.

On a side note, as per my OP
... turns out, the other CX500 I was supposed to look at, was this one. Guy sold it to her, BF goes picks it up and brings it home, gets home and realizes the bike is way too big for her so had to sell it. Upside is, she did all the legwork and got the ownership papers and such since they were missing originally.

#11 ·
Hey THRobinson,
Im in Whitby and I may have what you need but I need to go through my parts bins.........if you ever come out west on the 401, drop me a line
Let me check first for the parts

#12 ·
Actually would be East for me. :D

I'm just North of London... I'm actually out East fairly often, but only as far as Oakville, can't recall when I've been out towards Oshawa last.

Another member in the US has the parts, I'm just double checking my bike to make sure all I need are the rubber tubes first, then seeing how much shipping is. Failing that, I may have to consider a road trip. :D

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.