Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, getting bike ready for spring riding season. Put in new gas, checked oil, added coolant, stuck battery on charger for a bit just to be safe, etc. Bike starts up and idles like a champ. However when I start to take off it dies. I figured that was a problem with residue clogging the jets in the carbs, so I added sea foam, drained the fuel from the carbs and let it refill. Still idles wonderfully, but still dies at takeoff. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Did you try pulling the choke out some?
If this works, you need to clean the carbs, particularly the low speed jet circuit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Choke isn't sticky, feels pretty loose but I wd40ed it just to be sure. When I open the choke it moves a bit farther before dying. Think I'll have to take the carbs apart for cleaning? If so, anyone got a good tutorial? I am not super mechanically inclined so taking the carbs apart makes me nervous.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There an online tutorial or thread that gives good direction on it? Kinda light on money currently.
Thanks gents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The book nolimitz is suggesting is for dumies and seasoned wrenchers. $30 Larrys Carb Book. Follow it to the letter and your bike will love you and you will love it to. If your low speed jets are the problem, their a bitch and you need instruction on how to remove and clean them.
Check to see your getting enough fuel to the carbs first. How was it running when you put it up for the season? Did you use stabilizer and drain the bowls? Give us a little more to go on. It might not need the carbs rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Buy Larry's book! You can get by without the ultrasonic cleaner but not without the book. Cut out something else but spend the $30.

Reactions: Holzy1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts