Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You can put it in by tilting the motor down (leave the back most bolts in place).
Undo the spine bolts and loosen the rear ones, use a jack under the engine to lower the front and you will have enough room to put the bottle in and install the small bolts.
As far as "bleaching" the reserve tank, I doubt that it would stand up well to it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Amazing work so far. A quick question, when you say you laquered them, what did you use?

I've tried several clear coats with polished aluminum and durability has been less than desired.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Amazing work so far. A quick question, when you say you laquered them, what did you use?

I've tried several clear coats with polished aluminum and durability has been less than desired.
A regular clear coat made in my country. I can't tell you about durability yet...
How long did they last yours?

·
Registered
383 Posts
What process did you use for polishing the forks? They look like you gave them a brushed finish at the end?

For clear coats, I had the same fears for durability so I am sitting on a kit from POR-15 specifically designed to clear coat bare metals.

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
Axel, VERY nice job you've done. It's looking great.

No, those aren't the correct bars. The stock bars are lower and wider.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Axel, VERY nice job you've done. It's looking great.

No, those aren't the correct bars. The stock bars are lower and wider.
View attachment 133185
how long are they from grip to grip?? maybe I can get a replacement from a Honda Shadow or a Rebel

·
Super Moderator
2,539 Posts
Sorry I missed this Axel,
The length is 30" and they are 6" high.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Usually on Canadian bikes that rectangular section on the outer pouch holds a metal feeler gauge for checking the front brake caliper/brake pad/rotor clearance per the FSM set up.

Reactions: axelsaul

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I noticed after a short ride that I have a small oil leak at the filler cap. Small drips. I have the stock dipstick and a regular o-ring that fits. I only made about 80km (50miles) since restoration. Is it normal until the oring seals or should I try with a thicker one? Should I screw the dipstick in with a tool so it is more tightened?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts