Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before starting the restoration, I was looking to buy a kawasaki kz650 or 440, honda cb750k until I stumble upon this nice 1978 cx500. I didn't know the bike, but I fell in love instantly. :in love: The engine caught my attention. The bike was sitting for almost 5 years in a garage, white smoke came out from the exhaust, tank was rusty inside, the brakes were pretty weak, tyres had to be changed, speedo to be repaired, rear shocks were a little stiff and front forks were leaking
So I decided to bring it to a friend's mechanical workshop and work on the engine. That is when I decided to restore it completely. I knew it would demand more time and money, but after a full restoration I know I will enjoy it much more
We recently finished the engine.

This is the bike when bought

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Engine sanblasted and then disassembled

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Automotive engine part Vehicle

Work on the engine:
* new pistons and pistons rings +1mm (made in uk by IMD...very good quality, I recommend them)
* new intake valves
* new mech seal (honda original)
* new timing chain and tensioner
* new chain from oil pump (honda)
* new set of clutch disks (all honda)
* new set of gasket and all orings (vesrah)
* polished the clutch cover
* polished the valve covers (not in the photos)
* painted the front cover and the rear cover
* did a Zinc bath to all the screws (I don't know if zinc bath is the correct term in english...)

Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Engine

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part

Now the frame is painted and waiting

Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Auto part Car

All chrome parts and screws were sent to rechrome, rear rim was sent to repair then it will be painted as the engine covers. I am putting a new cover on the seat, and the tank was repaired, not painted yet.
I will be posting updates!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New seat cover! Not exactly like the original pattern but close enough

Floor Leather Auto part

Rechrome everything

Auto part Bicycle fork Material property Bicycle part Bumper

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Suspension

I restored the airbox with Liquid Silicone, leave it for 2 days and then wipe it out with a clean cloth.

Auto part Engine

All new genuine parts just arrived :D

Side emblems replica

Vehicle Car Bumper

and I bought a used tool box, I still don't know if I will repaint it or if I'll restore it like the airbox

Auto part

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like it will be great when finished. Just be sure to tuck in the clutch cable correctly. It's not supposed to stick out in the breeze like it is in the first photo. It's probably an after market item and too long anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doing one of my own. 1978 Blue. Mine is running well so I am doing parts at a time. Just completed a front brake rebuild. How bad was the chrome on your header pipes? Not sure if I should rechromed or get new.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doing one of my own. 1978 Blue. Mine is running well so I am doing parts at a time. Just completed a front brake rebuild. How bad was the chrome on your header pipes? Not sure if I should rechromed or get new.
pretty bad, but they are the genuine ones so better rechromed than an aftermarket!

·
Super Moderator
10,526 Posts
Scoring some killer NOS stuff dude! Great hunting and nice work!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very nice project! What great new handlebar controls you have there! They are rare. I bought a few myself, thinking those were the last new ones to be found on earth. But apparently you have them;-)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice project! What great new handlebar controls you have there! They are rare. I bought a few myself, thinking those were the last new ones to be found on earth. But apparently you have them;-)
Certainly the last ones on ebay! I got lucky because they wouldn't ship internationally...but my brother was in NYC for 10 days. So I sent everything to the hotel where he was staying

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little bit delayed due to some remodeling at the mechanic's...but still making progress

we opened the radiator, cleaned it up from the inside, closed it and then painted with a thin layer of black

Gun

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Automotive super charger part

Vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Auto part Car

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Engine Auto part Technology Automotive engine part Machine

Honda emblems...I will have to buy a better looking pair for the engine

Text Font Nameplate Vehicle registration plate Number

The tank, side covers, front fairing and tail almost ready to be painted

Plastic Auto part Fender

Fuel tank Hood Auto part Helmet Fender

This is the rear final drive...I am not sure if I like this paint..too shiny

Auto part

The swingarm was badly repaired by the PO, so I bought another one on ebay and I have to pick it up this week.
So I hope next week we'll be putting front fork, the wheels and the engine on the frame

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Wow ambitious and pricey project.

This must be a keeper.

I sort my bikes into 3 classes.

1.Parts

2.Ordinary/users/beaters/sellers

3.Keepers ......the one or 2 to be passed on to

a deserving party in my will.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow ambitious and pricey project.

This must be a keeper.

I sort my bikes into 3 classes.

1.Parts

2.Ordinary/users/beaters/sellers

3.Keepers ......the one or 2 to be passed on to

a deserving party in my will.
This is certainly class 3:D
A lot of work and money on this project but I know that the result is going to be a Keeper

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
going slow, but the tortoise wins the race

Painting is done! I really like it

Illustration Carmine Automotive design Design Graphic design

Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle Auto part Car

Motor vehicle Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive exterior

rims were painted, I know they were not painted from factory but it was the best solution I had to get them look like new.
this is the front wheel ready to roll! :cool:
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

and the rear one that I still have to put the plastic emblems...some of them will have to be glued

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I realized that I forgot to put the reserve coolant tank before placing the engine. Is there a way to put it now??

And is there any technique to get the plastic white again? the tank is yellowish
I found that bleach may work or peroxide, but I want to be sure that it doesnt damage the plastic

1 - 20 of 49 Posts