Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Newbie here.
Just bought a 78 standard with only 6800 miles on her. got her because at age 67 I find my 84 GL1200 standard is getting to heavy for me.
Went through and did the usual tune up. Set valves, carb sync,new fluids etc.
She is a real smooth runner except for acceleration hesitation around 2500-3500 rpm. It is not severe, just annoying. I have learned that later years came with an accelerator pump on the carbs ( carb?), presumably to eliminate this problem. Can the newer carbs (80-81) be installed on the 78 without a lot of shop modifications?

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
They have larger throats. ;].

In Oz we have the early model carbs on all models, - they just never changed them.

Currently though my bike is running a set of US accel pump carbs that I have for another project. My bike is noticably down on power with these compared to its own carbs.

Please fill in your profile and signature line to show your bike model and global location. This makes it easier for us to help you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about that Phreak. Done.
And thanks for the replies. I will happily rebuild the carbs. Suggestions on which kit to use? I have used Randakk with success on my GL1200.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
If you're comfortable paying the price of Randakk stuff go with that. I believe their stuff is top quality. I tend to buy my carb bits a bit at a time to piggy back on larger orders.

If you can rebuild the GL carbs you can do these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts