Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cafe/Streetfighter CX500 Build

I'm going to start my own thread for my build mainly as a way to track my progress. My buddy and I are putting together a bike in our limited free time when we aren't playing with our kids or working. It'll probably take a while but it's going to be a fun process. We were both drawn to the transverse twin motor of these bikes and have seen various pictures of what you can do with them so we're pretty excited.

We picked a good bike up from another forum member here. Thanks Vic! We haven't done a whole lot yet. Sold a few unwanted items and bought a few more. We plan on doing a front end swap as well as a mono shock conversion for the rear. From there we'll see what happens. I'll toss a few pictures up to show you what we've got so far. Right now we are pretty much amassing a bunch of parts so we can get a rolling chassis going.

I just want to say thanks to everyone on the forum for answering a lot of questions I had to get my buddy and I to this point. A special thanks to Murray. You've helped me a ton so far. If anyone has any suggestions for us as we go please feel free to tell us or comment on anything if you see us doing something stupid.

List of parts obtained so far:

2007 GSXR 750 front end
2007 GSXR 750 Calipers
97 CBR 1100 Black Bird Rotors (They have the same hub size as our CX and the Same diameter of the gsxr rotors)
All the bearings for our front end swap
New wheel bearings to accommodate our GSXR axle.
78 Goldwing dual disc comstar wheel
A set of Murray's Carbs

FYI props to EBC rotors in Las Vegas. I inquired about some rotors for my project and explained that I really didn't want to spend a ton of money because I would be modifying the bolt pattern on them. We don't want to practice on 400 dollars worth of rotors. They found a discontinued set in the back they couldn't sell anymore. I basically stole them. I won't say how cheap they were but it was worth the call. EBC was awesome to deal with and I highly recommend giving them a call if you ever need anything!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a '79 and I'm ready to tear it down too... just bout a 2011 GSXR-750 front end with some All Balls Racing conversion bearings... interest to know how your build goes!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Even though All Balls says it's a conversion kit, the stem on the gsxr is a tad short for proper mounting. You'll have to address that. Others have done it, but if I remember correctly, it's short room for the lock nut...

·
Registered
188 Posts
What I did with mine was, press out the original CX500 stem and press it into the tripple-tree of the GSXR :)

The GSXR's original is not long enough to secure through the neck of the frame.

·
Registered
188 Posts
cj how did you lock the stem in the gixer tree??

i looked at doing it but the busa triple is aluminum and i could not weld it on

its why i spent the hundred dollars and got the cognito unit
Murray, sorry my reply took so long dude - things have been manic my side!

My GSXR's tripple is not alu, it's steel :) Get an older one ;)

A cheaper option for you might be to get a stem machined out of alu to press and weld in? That would cost us $50 - $60 or less down here in Africa :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we're almost to the point to start actually building this thing. Just ordered a few more bits today. New keyed cap and matching switch off a gsxr as well as a new top clamp. Ours was kind of crappy as well as a cbr600rr shock for the mono rear conversion. I did end up buying a ignitech unit from the group by here so thanks for that!!! Suggestions on maintenance to do to the rear shock once we get it?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and a shout to to Cheap Thrills Motorsports out of Chanhassen, MN. They've hooked me up on several things so far at pretty descent prices and they are in MN so that's nice for me in case I need to run down there. Again thanks a lot to these guys. Great people to work with. You can find them on ebay or just look them up!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the front end on today. Of course it will be ripped off when it comes time to paint etc. We used the stock stem and didn't have a problem. Used one less spacer that came with the kit. We definitely couldn't double nut it though. A longer stem probably would be the way to go to be safe.

The wheel is just kind of sitting on there at the moment. Need to make wheel spacers and rotor spacers to get the thing centered. Time will tell if we have clearance issued with the calipers. If we do, does anyone know how much I can shave off the back of them if any? They are calipers from a 06-07 gsxr 750.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered up some more parts yesterday. Got the controls (levers, master cylinder switches etc) for a CBR 600 on the way. Keyed and matched ignition and gas cap for GSXR as well. Also got a donor GSXR tank so we can cut the top out and weld into our CX tank. Wanted to replace the crappy looking cap on this tank. Stealing this idea from Mike on here! Thanks for the inspiration Mike and all the advice thus far. Hopefully ours turns out just as nice as his. Things are moving finally!

·
Registered
24,137 Posts
while stealing mikes gas cap idea

get in touch with him a he has had water leaking into the tank through the bowl shape of the sunken cap and had it get into his carbs

also have you played with the spacers for the blackbird rotors?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will get some pictures of what I have when I get home if I get a chance. Our wheel has been bored out to accept the spacer between the bearings and now I'm waiting on my rotors to be drilled for the proper pattern and my rotor spacers to be made. Time will tell to see if my calipers are going to hit the wheel. I may just cry if that happens. I know it's going to be quite close.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just some more photos of crap I'm messing with. Going to be cutting the top of our GSXR tank out soon. Going to be utilizing the breather/water drain system suzuki has. Thanks again mike for sharing your experience to help me avoid your problems.

OEM gsxr clip ons. 32 bucks to the door! like brand new

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the front wheel put together and on tonight. I still need to put another rotor on it. (we didn't have long enough bolts) So i'll try and mess with that tomorrow. Here's pics of the progress. We had 97-98 1100 bonda black bird rotors drilled to the correct bolt pattern since they have the same hub size as our CX's. 58 mm. Then had spacers machined to 6.9 mm thickness to get the correct spacing for our 06-07 GSXR 600-750 front end. These blackbird rotors happened to be the same diameter as a stock gsxr rotor as well. Everything seems to be going along just fine so far. Just need to get the outside spacers done for the wheel and that will be complete!

Also got the back end chopped tonight. It will be fine tuned and cut a bit more yet but we just wanted to get the chunky crap out of the way.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts