Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the only difference is that the 78's don't have the accelerator pump.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
hello

will a set of 1978 cx carbs work and bolt up to my 1980?

thanks for your help

Murray

Besides the the accelerator pump as mentioned in previous post, the fuel feed will be on the left carb for the '78 and not in the middle, there is no vacuum port for a vacuum fuel shutoff either on the 1978 carb. From personal experience (and Larry the carb guru can chime in to verify), the 1978 carbs perform better and have better response than the later accelerator pump carbs. Something about emissions and pixie dust IIRC.
The differences are minor, bypassing the vacuum petcock and routing for a shorter tube is easy enough, it is more of a PITA to fit a filter to the side feed.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The 1980 bikes don't have a vacuum petcock,,that started in 81 I think,,the fuel inlet location and no accelerator pump is the main difference.,

I have 1978 carbs on my 1980 Custom.

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
I'm surprised no one asked "1980 what?" Yes I know this is an old thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
This thread was used/referred to in a different thread recently. What I'd like to know is what his post count was when this thread was started?? I may have to ask the Admins to see if that can be determined.

·
Super Moderator
23,069 Posts
Wouldn't have been many Ramp. It's the same month Murray signed up. While it doesn't show in Murrays started threads for some reason, looking at the dates of those showing I would think it to be his 4th or 5th post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts