Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there was a topic in the last form /is it possable to put the 650 trans into a 81 cx 500 / my 1st gear took a [email protected] -bad shifter fork /have a spare trans out of my 650 /will it bolt in -was told it would fit as long as i use the 650 clutch also /

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes it can be done.

This is how i did it: http://ofapars-.webs...xtransplant.htm

You do not have to fit the 650`s clutch, in fact to do so would be a step too far as i`m not completely convinced the 10% drop in engine speed the transplant achieves is beneficial to the 500 motors` characteristics, let alone the reduction the primary gears would add,too.

These are (very) oversquare engines, and need to rev to be able to produce any power, and lowering the engine speed takes the edge off the perkiness and throttle response.

The 300rpm drop of the primary swap may be the best compromise.

BTW, that 500 engine with the 650 `box (in the CX-Periment) is to be replaced soon by a complete 650 engine.

That`s the way to go......

·
Registered
102 Posts
BTW, that 500 engine with the 650 `box (in the CX-Periment) is to be replaced soon by a complete 650 engine.

That`s the way to go......

Always wondered where you got all your 650 lumps from eurovee, I've not seen many on the bay and I've got a nice powdercoated frame n most of the guts for a new bike to grow, would upgrade to a 650 if they weren't like hens teeth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts