Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

I'm looking into doing the 650 clutch conversion on my GL500i.The bit that confuses me is the clutch basket.The 500 uses a collar washer & center guide, where the 650 uses much the same but the pieces are different.Which pieces do I use & from what bike?

The other thing I'm not sure about is I know I need to replace the front cover gask but what are the o rings for that I also need to replace?

Hope this makes sense thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's your answer.

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=537&p=2609#p2609

I think the gl bikes use the same spacer so it isn't needed. But the cx500 doesn't have a spacer separate of the clutch. The spacer is an extra cast section on the clutch.

So do I use a spacer behind the 650 basket along with the 650 washer? & do I use any of the gl500 parts?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I understand this before tearing into it

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
If you have all the 650 parts then use the spacer and the washer from it but I think that they are the same as the gl500 spacer and washer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have all the 650 parts then use the spacer and the washer from it but I think that they are the same as the gl500 spacer and washer.
Thank you for your help with this.

I haven't got the parts yet I will be ordering them today from a wrecker.When I look at the exploded parts view of the 500 clutch & compare it to the 650,the 650 assm doesn't show a spacer behind the basket ,just a washer.Thats what I'm not sure about.If there is not a spacer I guess I must use the 500 spacer.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

gl500

I only remember using a spacer and a washer on mine. I would get the 650 one just to be safe. That's what i did since the cx500 doesn't have spacers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your help.

On the GL500 picture it shows #12 the spacer but I don't see one on the 650 picture.From looking at this I'm assuming I must use this spacer #12 & put it behind #15 on the 650 assm.Sorry again for the dumb questions but it takes awhile to get thru my thick skull.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used #15 just fine. Remember some of those spacers go into the clutch basket a bit.

So I just got my 650 bits & pieces today & I'm missing the washer #15 which is just great.I know the 500 washer #16 is a different part number but would it be the same thickness as the 650 washer #15

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
You know that's a David in Wisconsin question. All I really remember is that the washer in question seemed to be about 1/4 inch thickness.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know that's a David in Wisconsin question. All I really remember is that the washer in question seemed to be about 1/4 inch thickness.
From the write up on this conversion it mentions that you used the 500 washer as you didnt have the 650 oil seperator .If thats the case then I should be ok with the 500 washer right?

I want to do this conversion on the weekend & just want to make sure that not having that 650 washer things will still work.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Well the write up was created/recreated by myself but it was actually done by Dave a while back.

Posted by: David ()

Date: June 24, 2005 11:26AM

I'll email him.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much .I really appreciate your help on this.Sorry I thought you were David

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thank you so much .I really appreciate your help on this.Sorry I thought you were David

You can use the 500 washer, but it is narrower than the 650 one. They are the same thickness though. When we did my brother's bike about 10 years ago we used the 500 washer in his bike. There have been no problems with his bike since then.

If you don't have the 650 splash shield you will need to hammer the 500 splash shield to clear the springs on the back of the 650 clutch.

I do hope you have the 650 primary gear. That is very important.

If you have other questions feel free to email me, but please send your real email address to me as it is a pain to go back and forth over and over through the CC forum for personal questions.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
And there's the answer we're looking for. Of course in my case the cx500 doesn't have the spacers because it's part of the clutch assembly.

On an up note the 650 splash guard is available through honda but hammering it shouldn't be a problem either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can use the 500 washer, but it is narrower than the 650 one. They are the same thickness though. When we did my brother's bike about 10 years ago we used the 500 washer in his bike. There have been no problems with his bike since then.

If you don't have the 650 splash shield you will need to hammer the 500 splash shield to clear the springs on the back of the 650 clutch.

I do hope you have the 650 primary gear. That is very important.

If you have other questions feel free to email me, but please send your real email address to me as it is a pain to go back and forth over and over through the CC forum for personal questions.
Thank you both ,thats what I needed to know.I do have the primary & the 650 splash shield so it looks like I'm set.Hopefully all goes well,thanks for your offer David of further help if needed ,I may have to take you up on that.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
And there's the answer we're looking for. Of course in my case the cx500 doesn't have the spacers because it's part of the clutch assembly.

On an up note the 650 splash guard is available through honda but hammering it shouldn't be a problem either.

Don,

I think/hope he was asking about the washers and not the spacer. Yes, you use the spacer and it doesn't matter if the spacer comes from a GL500 or GL650.

I honestly don't know if any CX500 ever had the spacer behind the washer like the later GLs did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts