Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
So I had the gaskets water jet cut.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Rim
Wood Bicycle part Rim Machine Metal

The originals seem to be a triple laminate of 0.35mm sections per laminate.

Mine are made from 0.5mm sheet so I will layer 2 together to make the total 1mm and see what happens. The .DXF file for getting them made is attached to this post. Grab it and rename it .dxf. Any lazer/water jet cutter should be able use it. If not give me a shout and I can email it.

So back to fitting the inlet manifold.
Next challenge is the inlet manifold support brackets. They always seem to break between the metal and the rubber but some quality Superglue and 10 minutes in the vice seems to do the trick.
Finger Thumb Auto part Nail Household hardware

Next fit new inlet O rings and I am replacing all my air pipes with new silicone pipe and the water pipes to the air valve from the thermostat and pump body (use braided hose for these).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust Automotive design

When fitting the throttle body mounting bracket to the top of the engine (the one bolt in the bottom of the 3 bolt triangle), you need to leave the bottom boltloose which make it awkward to do up when the bodies are fitted but you can get to it with a deep ring spanner.

Fit the other two bolts and torque to 8-12Nm.
Rim Automotive exterior Hood Gas Auto part

The two bolts on the inlet manifold where it joins the head are also 8-12Nm. The top one in each case is award to get a socket and torque wrench on without a universal joint so you may need to 'torque by eye' with a ring spanner.

I fitted a new vacuum tube to the pressure regulator

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part

Fit a new water tube from the air valve assembly (near the blue connector at the back of the inlet manifold/throttle bodies) to the thermostat. Use a braided hose.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine

While I was at it I also replaced all the sensor air tubes. REMEMBER THE ORDER. Page 4.8 of the manual helps and the throttle body has numbers stamped in that corresponds to the right tube (more later).

As you sit on the bike and look down at the 4 sensor tubes in their clip, the order from left to right is; P1, Pb, P2, Pign. The sensors also have labels.

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Motor vehicle Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Engine in next. Get it up on the jack and try to get it as level as possible.

Motor vehicle Engineering Automotive exterior Machine Automotive design

Keeping an eye on all the cables and hoses, gently move it back towards the final drive shaft. If you haven'y got the angle right this will be awkward to line up. It does move backwards and forwards quite a lot so you can move it out of the way a bit until the engine bolt holes line up. Grease the gear on the shaft before inserting on to the final drive. Don't fit the securing bolt yet.

Try to the the long rear engine bolt in first, then you can pivot the engine a bit with the jack or by hand to get the top the rear bolts in (one each side). Fit the nuts loosely on these (the LHS side one is a bit awkward but dooable if you don't push the bolt the whole way in to start).

Fit the two front engine mounts. Don't tighten yet.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Gear

Two bolts mount to the cylinder, one to the frame then a long bolt right through the frame to the mount on the other side. repeat the other side. Dont tighten yet.

With all engine mounts in place start tightening. I started with the front mount bolts. Torque is 35-45Nm for the bolts and 30-40Nm for the one nut on the cylinder, except the long through bolt which is 45-70Nm.

Then do the top rear bolts to 45-70Nm and the long bottom bolt to 60-80Nm.

Now slide the final drive forward until only 5-6mm of spline is showing and insert the special lock bolt. Rotating the rear wheel as you do it helps. I didn't put the engine in gear bit that can help as well.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
and boot
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Refit the crank case breather

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Automotive fuel system Automotive design

Turbo and heat shield next.

There are a lot of screws in the heat shield and some are different sizes.

As it assembles like a jigsaw you will find yourself fitting and removing screws. Its a good idea to assemble it off the bike to know what screws go where and make some notes.

If as in my case all the heat shield gaskets were wrecked when I took it apart. I decided to blast and powder coat the heat shield parts and not refit gaskets. This project is a temporary exercise anyway and it will all be apart again later anyway then I might try to make some gaskets.

STEP 1. Test the turbo waste gate. I used one of the vacuum/pressure brake bleeding hand pump guns. Put it on 'compress' and mark a line of the wastegate actuator rod so you can see how far it moves. Apply 18.9 - 20.1 psi to the gate pressure line input using the hand pump. The actuator rod should move 2mm at a max of 20.1 psi.

Next with putting the air hose on the turbo with both clips in place as shown (note 2nd clip not in final position).

Gas Tints and shades Metal Machine Auto part

Get the main heat shield on. As mentioned you sill need to fit some bolts then remove them later to fit other parts. Make sure any bolts behind the turbo are fitted.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim

Push the turbo up and DON'T FORGET THE OIL FEED HOSE!! When you finally fit the clips make sure they are in place as shown. Before you go much further FILL THE TURBO WITH ENGINE OIL. Undo the bolt that holds the oil feed spigot onto the turbo. Pull the spigot out (check and replace the O ring if needed, its a 6.8 x 2.5 O ring) and syringe some oil into turbo. I also pushed some back into the feed pipe from the engine.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Rim
Gas Personal protective equipment Metal Auto part Close-up

Tighten the exhaust clamps loosely and then fit the turbo bracket.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle brake Crankset Automotive lighting

Now tighten the exhaust clamps to 20-25Nm then the turbo bracket bolts to the same. The bolts that mount to the turbo are special heat proof bolts. Use anti-seize grease on these.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Check the air hose and clamps are in the right position. Refer to section 6.8 of the maintenance manual for the direction of the hose. It has an arrow on it to indicate direction. If you get it wrong it doesn't fit as in the picture. You may need to rotate the top clamp a bit later to fit the top heat shield.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Machine Metal

Next the LHS heat shield

Insect Arthropod Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender

and the RHS heat shield

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust Rim

And refit the turbo oil return

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

And the turbo air inlet hose

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Next fit the resonance chamber hose with both clips on. With the nearest one (for the chamber connection) push back towards the engine (not in its final position). The picture below shows in the wrong (final) position.

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Fit the chamber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

And fit the top heat shield

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Now go and have a beer. You will need one!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Moving on....Time to get the sump back together.

There are 5 long bolts that fit it to the engine and 4 short bolts that join the two halves together. I didn't bother to split mine.

Fits put a new O ring (15.3 x 3.5) on the strainer. Grease the O ring a little.

Automotive tire Road surface Gas Cylinder Musical instrument

Inspect the strainer mesh and clean it out

Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gadget Carbon Electronic instrument

Fit the strainer into the sump. Making sure the tabs on the strainer line up with the feature in the sump (2 O'clock position in picture)

Musical instrument Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Fit a new sump O ring (76.5 x 3). Previously the sump O ring on mine had also had sealer applied which is difficult to fully clean so I used sealer again to make sure.

Fit the sump, pushing the strainer O ring stem into place and insert the 5 long screws. Torque them in a cross pattern to 8-12Nm. Check you have a tight seal with a torch.

Fit the sump plug with a new 8 x 14 copper washer. Torque is 15-25Nm.

Fill with 3.5l of oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Next fit the blue connector back onto the throttle bodies (you can just see the mating darker blue connector in the background).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Rim

Next connect up the sensor pressure pipes.

On the throttle body housing there are numbers embossed next to each port.
3 is Pb, 2 is P2 and 4 is PIgn. P1 is the long line to the front of the bike. If you look at the hose clip from the top, from left to right it should be P1, Pb, P2, Pign.

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Engineering Gas

Now connect the injector connectors (LHS and RHS)

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Coil Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Then the connector and temp sensor lines

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Thumb
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Fender

I want to do a quick test turn over so I have connected the starter motor feed next (10-12Nm). Obviously add engine oil first!!!!!

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Next wire the new alternator connector. I soldered and crimped mine.

Electrical wiring Gas Electrical supply Electronic device Cable

Fit to the rear of the connector bracket and join the mating half.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Connect the neutral wire

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Refit the battery box. Making sure you don't crimp and wires or air pipes behind the bracket.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Refit the connector carrier with its two shouldered mounting bolts.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Refit the starter solenoid and the indicator relay.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Metal
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Vehicle

Replace the cable clip on the frame

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Gas Bumper

Route the positive feed to the starter relay and attach the starter motor wire (as in above left pic).

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exhaust Gas Automotive wheel system

Fit the ignition system speed sensor connector

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Fit the throttle cables and replace the two screws holding the cable carrier on

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Rim Automotive wheel system

Now fit the main connector bracket back in place and start joining up the colored connectors.

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal Engineering

Don't forget the TPS and the pulse generator connector

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reset the cable ties and tidy everything up

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Machine

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Time to fit the exhaust header. IF YOU HAVEN'T REFITTED THE HEAT SHIELD, DO IT NOW. If you get the fairing on its too late.

I used a double gasket from the ones I made to get the thickness (clean up the turbo and the pipe end first).

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive lighting

Put some anti-seize grease on the nuts and loosely fit them with the manifold in place

Line up the support bracket under the engine and push through the main bolt

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Fit the bracket and loosely fit the bolts (I had to replace one).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive design

Tighten the header bolts at the turbo - 20-25Nm and the bracket bolts - 18-28Nm.

Now fit the radiator with the two top bolts and one middle bolt at the bottom - (I couldn't find a torque so just used 18-28Nm as a nominal value)

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Vehicle

Fit the top hose.

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim

Now connect up the fan ans switch, noting where the cable gland goes on the heat shield.

Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Auto part

Finger Electrical wiring Automotive tire Gas Thumb

Connect up the oil pressure sensor

Carabiner Gas Electrical wiring Cable Auto part

Route the turbo air inlet pipe down through the heat shield (its a bit of a puzzle!)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
And tighten up the inlet hose

Automotive tire Tire Automotive exhaust Hood Automotive fuel system

Then attach the radiator lower hose and cable clip the oil sensor cable in place

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Refit the P1 sensor pipe and the sensor connector

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Gas
Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Finger

Tidy up the wiring from the pulse generator and injectors and refit the clip. WARNING! On the end of the air intake spigot that connects to the P1 sensor tube is a small brass nozzle (as in the picture). This is a 0.5mm bore nozzle. It can come loose and if it is not fitted the engine won't run correctly. Sometimes during disassembly the nozzle will get stuck in the hose and you might loose it.

Light Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Auto part

Route the overflow hose and connect to the radiator and route the air hose along side. They go through the metal wire clip in the picture

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Electrical wiring

Refit the coolant drain plug

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Before fitting the fairing frame, replace the plastic panel that fits over the top of the frame spar and behind the forks (no image). It is held on with 2 bolts that attach to the radiator frame.

Fit the fairing frame with the air box in place and first guide the airbox hose over the air inlet pipe

Bicycle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Then loosely fit the head stock bolts

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Wheel

Then the upper and lower fairing bolts

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive exhaust Vehicle

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Lower fairing bolt image below

Automotive tire Hood Tire Tread Motor vehicle

Make sure the resonance chamber sits on the bracket and fit the bolt

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

And make sure the air box inserts line up with the frame

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle chain Bicycle frame Rim

Now tighten up the frame bolts. I can't find a torque for these but used 20-25Nm as a generic 8mm torque.

For the air box bolts I used 8-12Nm. I couldn't find a reference so used a nominal 6mm bolt torque.

Connect the air hose from the air box (the one that runs with the radiator over flow hose)

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle frame

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
Finish fitting the air box bolts.

Automotive tire Finger Bumper Motor vehicle Metalworking

Fit the instrument cluster with its' 4 bolts (sorry for got to take an image).

Section 14.12 in the manual. Now start to route the wiring to the connector panel (refer to the disassembly pics/notes for the order). Its pretty simple as they all colour match. Make sure the connector clips are in place with the connector pair pushed all the way home. You can connect everything except the headlight and the indicators at this stage.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Pliers Nipper Gas Optical fiber cable Electrician

Tidy up the fan connectors and cabling

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Rim Motor vehicle

Refit the load resistor noting where the wire cable routing bracket goes.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
and attach its connector
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Auto part Gas

I went back and attached the exhaust tail pipes here but you could do it when you put the manifold and heat shield on.

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Rim Fender Bumper

Fit the centre fuse panel and connect up the connectors in the connector set previously shown above.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Steering part

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Refit the clutch cable, using the adjustable trick

Automotive tire Bumper Finger Automotive exterior Thumb

At this point with oil and water in the bike you can do a start test. FIRST RECONNECT THE FUEL PUMP LINE TO THE MANIFOLD. Remember this is a high pressure fuel feed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear Automotive fuel system
The big bolt is 35-50Nm and the centre bleed bolt is 27-29Nm

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
As my tank is getting repaired I set up a fuel feed (don't forget the low pressure return into the top of the can). Push the button and .......a cough and then she started!! Alternator voltage good,oil pressure good.....we have a winner!!

Fit the plastic shroud and throttle cable guide. There are 2 bolts that mate with the radiator frame.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Auto part
Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim

Make sure the cable routing allows for a full lock on the steering.

Automotive tire Plant Gas Auto part Pipe
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

Fit the left and tight hand console panels

Automotive tire Bumper Finger Automotive exterior Automotive design

and the top panel

Hand Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
And the fuse cover

Calipers Steering wheel Steering part Gauge Gadget

Now gently position the fairing on the bike the spring clips (chimney clips) should be wrapped in take to stop them scratching the forks.

Position the heat shield rubbers (2 each side)

Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Bumper
Hand Stonemason's hammer Automotive tire Finger Bumper

Position and tighten the 4 fairing screws. Two each side.

Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Refit the fairing panel support wire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface

Fit the headlight and connect up the main bulb connector and the side lights and indicators.

Fit the top 2 headlight support bolts

Automotive tire Wood Hood Bumper Automotive exterior
and the lower 2 under the headlight
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting

Put the plastic top hat washer into the screen and line up and fit the bolts (1 each side)

Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail
Hand Automotive tire Finger Hood Motor vehicle

Fit the lower fairing panel

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Fender
some of my screws were missing so I replaced them with allen bolts. If you have the clips missing (chimney clips), they re available on-line.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts