Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Looking at it the heat shield was a bit of a mess and some of turbo oil pipes didnt look great so I decided to take the turbo off and clean up the heat shields.

Clear the LHS cable harness away from the shield
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle tire Automotive wheel system

You can now get access to all the shield bolts except the ones behind the turbo. The shield assembly (it's last part) wont come off finally until the turbo is off.

There are several bolts holding the parts of the shield in place. Good hunting!!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Rim

As the various parts come off you will notice gaskets stuck to certain sections. Try not to destroy them or you will be hand crafting new ones!

To remove the clutch cable I unlocked the two locking nuts and moved them to the end of their travel then used an adjustable to move the arm to allow the cable to unclip

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

This is a shot of where the resonance chamber connects and the air inlet to the turbo (2nd pic). Remove both of these.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Metal
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Wood Art

Remove the exhaust manifold nuts

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Remove the turbo mounting bracket

Automotive tire Bicycle chain Bicycle part Vehicle brake Auto part

Remove the upper (small) and lower larger into casing) turbo oil hoses. The smaller one has two small clips Undo both, then as the turbo pulls off it will separate.

Automotive tire Wood Glove Snout Automotive wheel system

Pull off the turbo

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

More that later!!

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Get yourself a good engine jack.

Put some layers of cardboard on the plate because there are a couple of small casing fins that stick down lower than the rest and it doesn't sit very evenly and you need it to come out straight!

Now remove the three lower engine bolts at the rear of the engine. The lower one is a long bolt that goes right through so you need to lock one end in place while undoing the other.

The top ones have a captive nut on the inside of the frame. Don't loose these!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Crankset

Now roll the jack forwards slightly, check for any hoses/cables still in the way. The throttle bodies/air manifold will clash with the frame so lower the jack a little and roll forward again. Repeat until its free.

To get at the rear casing easily you now need to remove the throttle body assembly.

The inlets to the cylinders are on rubbers with clamps. I would not recommend removing the clamps and opening the rubbers. Best left alone.

The joint at the head is a simple O ring seal. I used a Viton 40x2.5 O ring. Viton is a high temp O ring. The originals looks like Nitrile but my experience with Viton in high temp situations is better.

There are two bolts for the head clamp. The best tool to ensure you son't strip heads is a good ring spanner. Sockets just don't line up well.

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim Tire

The bodies are held to the cases by a bracket and two hoses.
The bracket is in the middle underneath the bodies. Undo the top two bolts.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Now remove the two hoses. It will be obvious which two as you try to lift the assembly off.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Tire

Taadaa!!

Safety glove Creative arts Wood Automotive tire Flooring

As a slight aside.......My bike was dormant in a barn for 15 years. The inside of the tank is very rusty so I decided to try an experiment.

There are lots of ways to clean a tank but I thought I would try electrolysis for a change.

This basically uses a steel rod (the anode) in an electrolyte (sodium carbonate solution) and a power source. In theory all the rust moves from the tank to the anode. You can then degrease and seal the tank.

I am using POR 15 degreaser and the same brand fuel tank sealer and metal preparation fluid (which goes before the sealer phase).

POR15 Fuel Car / Bike (Motorcycle) Tank Repair Sealer (473ml)

Plug the fuel tap and fuel sender holes. For the size of the turbo tank, I used 250gms of sodium carbonate. Mix it in jugs and pour it in.

Then get a rubber bung for the cap hole and drill a hole in the bung that is a tight fit for a 6mm steel rod.

Shape a mild steel rod in a kind of L shape (around 300mm of rod) so that a bit sticks out of the bung and then goes into the tank by about 50mm then turns to go along the tank towards the rear.

Push the cork in with the rod assembled. Now do a resistance check to make sure the rod isnt touching the tank at all. THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT

You now need a battery charger and a battery.

Connect the battery and charger -ve feeds to the tank body (2nd unused fuel tap outlet is good) and connect the +ve battery and charger line to the steel rod sticking out of the top of the bung.

MAKE SURE THE +VE DOESN'T TOUCH THE TANK.

Plug in the charger and away you go. After 4 hours disassemble the wiring and clean up the steel rod, then repeat again. I am still playing with this so stay tuned.......See the next post for the image/

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
OK, back to that later......

Next it is clutch cover off.

Tool Saw Gas Machine Metal

There are 13 bolts.

Gas Wood Font Handwriting Auto part

One of the bolts holds on the cable retainer for the oil sensor.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle fork

Now using a hard piece of wood (oak), gently tap the casing away using the lugs in the lower right and left corners.

Wood Denim Woolen Linens Electric blue
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Bumper

Once you have a gap drive plastic wedges in (these are floor tile wedges)

Wood Wood stain Flooring Hardwood Automotive exterior

As you remove the cover you will likley have 2 dowels and an oil feed fallout.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
White Light Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim

The dowels each have an O ring round them as does the oil feed. MAKE SURE THE OIL FEED GOES BACK IN WITH THE NIPPLE STICKING OUT (as in the pic)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The cover also has dowels in 2 places...

Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Bumper Rim
Hand tool Bicycle part Pliers Metalworking hand tool Tongue-and-groove pliers

Next I needed to adjust my oil pump chain which was a bit slack. The book says 2 - 3.5mm of slack with the pump bolts being torqued to 8 - 12 Nm.
There are 3 bolts. All hex head (not the phillips screw one)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Gear

You will have to release them, move the assembly to tighten the chain then tighten them a little, while tapping the assembly gently until you get the right tension. Then tighten the bolts and recheck the tension. I found that to be the easiest way.

Then remove the two coolant pipe clamps and the hose connection

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design
Automotive tire Tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Vehicle

Nows a good time to remove the plugs (fill the hole with rags).

Safety glove Glove Automotive tire Wood Artisan

Next is the water pump cover bolts. As you take them out note the lengths/positions.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Gas

Gently tap round the housing again and insert wedges.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Tire Automotive design

And you get access to the impeller (note the dowel positions as you remove the cover)

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part Auto part

The impeller is held on with a nut and copper washer.

Wood Grey Hardwood Button Natural material

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
The impeller normally comes of with a bit of rocking to and fro.

Next is the pump housing. remove the bolts and gently tap using the oak block wherever you can get an edge and put some wedges in.

Motor vehicle Wood Auto part Personal protective equipment Metal

Once off you will expose the two Ne sensors which will likely be corroded. There are various threads showing Ebay replacements for these. BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM OFF MAKE A CAREFUL NOTE OF THE WIRING. THEY ARE POLARISED.

Jeans Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim

There are also two O rings (by the blue glove and the one opposite), these will need replacing (as do all the O rings).

With the housing off the timing cam and pump collar are exposed.

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Machine Nickel

The collar will likely be corroded and need replacing. You can't buy them. Here is the drawing. Make on in 316 stainless (or I can make them for you).

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Diagram

The sleeve won't just slide off. I locked the crank in place, soaked it in Plus Gas and gently rotated it with pliers.

Next you need to get out the mechanical seal. I pressed mine out with a socket in a vice to make sure it came out square.

Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Engineering
Automotive tire Hat Wood Automotive wheel system Metal

EDIT. This sentence isn't true for the Turbo. There is no water weep hole in the pump housing in this position, it is a small hole in the bottom of the housing. The second picture also shows the small water bleed hole that goes from the inside (rusty bit) to the outside of the casing (top of the black section). MAKE SURE THIS FEED IS CLEAR.

The CMSL parts fiche shows another seal (15) but that is only for the standard CX which has the cam seal (15) and the mechanical seal (3) in the rear cover (with the weep hole between them). The turbo just has the mechanical seal assembly (3) in the pump housing and the cam seal in the rear cover with the weep hole in the bottom of the pump housing.

Font Sharing Parallel Diagram Auto part

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
To get the collar off I used some Plus Gas then gently rotated it (it is getting replaced).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

New Stainless 316 part machined today.

Automotive tire Cylinder Asphalt Wood Gas

The remove the casing bolts

Wood Automotive tire Tool Font Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Bumper

The tricky bit is the cam pickup for the sensors. This can only be done with a gear puller as it is likely stuck on. I screwed a nut back onto the thread to stop any damage.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Metal Nut

Apply some Plus Gas and it comes off easily. try and do it any other way and you damage the cam.The cam is located by a small pin. Make sure you don't loose it as the cam comes off.

Plumbing Pipe Metal Auto part Circle
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Circle

Using the piece of oak again I gently tapped round the housing until there was a gap then used the wedges.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper

BEWARE. The gear lever shaft may become stuck in the seal and if you keep pulling the housing out without tapping it back, you will damage the return spring (as I did).

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wood
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Gas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
The cover has two large water transfer dowels (either side of the cam shaft) with an O ring on each. Another pair of the same O rings are used on the back of the pump body that mates with the same water ways.

Bicycle part Gear Nickel Rim Auto part

The cam oil seal (above and below pic) fits into the rear case. CMSL and Davis Silver have this as a 18x28x6 seal but the one in my bike is a 18x28x5. I dont think the extra mm of depth makes any difference.

Eyelash Iris Gas Art Circle

There are two locating dowels in the casing. Don't loose them.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Tread

I need to replace the alternator so the rear cover has to come off to expose the wire glands.

Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Machine Metal

Make a note of how the alternator earth runs

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle chain Bicycle part Gear

Tap the cover off as before. You can get an edge at the top.

Sleeve Wood Electric blue Denim Fashion accessory

The alternator is held with three bolts

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Motor vehicle Circle
and the cable seals can be prised out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Undo the neutral cable guide

Gas Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Metal
and the nut holding the neutral wire on
Water Gas Metal Circle Auto part

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Next having lined the LH cylinder at TDC and checking that the timing marks are right (cam gear bolts line up with marks on casing and crank woodruf key aligns with mark on the crank cap (section 11-9 in the manual). Lock the crank in place with the Honda tool.

Gas Machine Engineering Gear Metal

Now you can undo the rotor centre bolt

Finger Wood Thumb Audio equipment Wrist

I used a 20mm x 1.5 pitch x 80mm long bolt to extract the rotor.

Microphone Finger Gas Coil Auto part

As the rotor comes off make sure you don't loose the starter clutch plungers, springs and cams

Rim Gas Circle Auto part Metal
If you are replacing the springs, USE HONDA PARTS

Lift off the drive gear and its needle bearing

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system

Lift off the reduction gear taking note of the thrust washer

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Vehicle brake Wood Gas

Having locked the crank I drew additional line up marks on the cam gear and the crank shaft to make sure I got it right on reassembly.

Light Gear Household hardware Automotive tire Tool
Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part

Undo the 3 set plate bolts

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Machine Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
On the cam chain tensioner body (you need 3 hands for this). Push the LH sprung pin across into the body while pushing a screw driver in from the RH side against the ball in the housing. A slide will come out of the RH side and you can insert a holding pin.

Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

Now undo the tensioner bolt and slide it off.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Crankset Rim Vehicle brake

Now remove the LH and RH chain guide and slipper arm

Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle chain Bicycle part Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive fuel system Muffler Exhaust system

The new Davis Silver slipper arm one on the left looks a bit flimsier that the old one on the right but I replaced it anyway.....

Font Close-up Metal Symbol Circle

The LH guide has collars pressed in. Remove and fit to the new guide

Automotive tire Bicycle part Engineering Bumper Motor vehicle

Undo the two cam sprocket bolts

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gear Engineering

The sprocket will pull forward and the chain will come off.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Gear

Refit the chain and sprocket and check the line up (apply tension to the RH side of the chain). Sprocket bolt torque is 16-20 N-m

Refit the two chain guides. Bolt torque is not in the manual but I used 18-20 N-m.

Refit the tensioner. Bolt torque is 18-25 N-m.

Remove the retaining pin you put in and push in the ball with the screw driver to make sure it moves freely and tension is made on the chain. The tensioner wont move much but it must move. If it doesnt check the ball bearing is moving again and the slide you put the retaining pin in has moved back into the tensioner.

Refit the set plate. Bolt torque is 8-12N-m

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas Engineering

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Back to the Ne sensors/pump body repair......

My sensor plate is a bit of a mess. Clearly some leakage
over time.
Finger Body jewelry Jewellery Metal Personal protective equipment

The really important thing to note is the sensor wiring. On the LHS sensor the yellow wire striped white is on the outside (on new LX579 sensors this is the red wire).

Finger Engineering Electric blue Wire Electrical wiring

On the RH sensor the blue wire striped white is on the inside (again red wire on the new sensor)

Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Safety glove

I use plenty of Plus Gas on the screws. Don't loose the little spring clips or the magnets.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Rim Jewellery
Hand Automotive tire Finger Wood Slip joint pliers

The cable clamp comes off in one piece

Hand Finger Thumb Amphibian Terrestrial plant

Hold the sensor bracket in a vice and gently rock the sensor body off the tab

Calipers Wood Gas Tints and shades Electric blue

Now's a good time to make the water weep hole larger in the pump body

Wood Bumper Automotive tire Gas Rim

I bought some sensors off ebay (LX579). They are almost a perfect fit but not quite. I decided to modify the backing plate to suit so future sensors will fit rather than filing the sensors as others have done. A session in the ultrasonic sorted all the metal parts.

Wood Jewellery Personal protective equipment Auto part Metal

Next make a note of the connector polarity. White stripped wires are on the left (upper and lower).

Gesture Finger Thumb Wood Gas

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
My new sensors have good quality multi core copper cables and silicone (high temp) sleeving so easy to solder. The old wires in the cable are harder to solder. It's really important you get a good joint and some modern solders don't have great flux. I dipped my cable ends in LACO plumbers soldering flux first then tinned the ends. It worked very well. You want the joints a few centimeters up the cable sleeve so with the connector off, pull back the sleeve. Cut the old wires near the sensor. Tin sensor and cable ends and slide heat shrink over each wire.

Remember red wires go to the stripped white wires.

Light Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim

Make sure the joints are really clean. heat gun the heatshrink down and slide the cables sleeving back in place and refit the connector. Now refit the cable clamp.

Finger Wood Gas Auto part Wrist

Not too shabby (y):)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Back to the alternator. I chose the Electrex World one (G08). Talking to them they assured me it was a common turbo replacement (12v, 5000 rpm, 250 watt approx).

Hole pattern fits. On the standard unit there is an additional M5 screw for a cable clamp. Mine had a hole but not tapped. I opened it to 4.2mm and tapped it M5.

Automotive tire Circle Auto part Art Bicycle part

There isn't a torque setting in the manual I can see and the original bolts seemed to have locktite on them so I repeated that and torqued to 10Nm. Much more felt wrong on a shallow thread.

The cables route through the housing via 2 x rubber glands. I used 3Bond 1215 to seal the cables and glands. I will use the same on the water pump water ways.

Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle Rim

Refit the neutral wire and have it joing the alternator cables sleeve near the alternator glands. Note routing by the pack cover. With the cover on the wire is trapped.

Automotive engine gasket Motor vehicle Gas Machine Auto part

Tighten up the wire crimp nut and refit the boot and cable bracket

Photograph Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal

Fit a new alternator connector and pins (comes in the Electrex World kit).

The next job is boring........old gasket removing! I used Liqui Moli seal and gasket remover. Spray it on. Leave a few minutes then very carefully use a scaple to get the old gaskets off.

WARNING. I think this stuff is basically a form of paint stripper. Don't over spray your lovely black casings. It may not take the paint off but it will take the shine off 🤨 Wash any residue off.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Time to replace some seals on the rear cover.

The gear change seal is a 16x28x7 lip seal.

With most of these type of seals I have found it best to use a well rounded old screwdriver and push in the seal edge to relieve the tension a little then you can gently prise it out from underneath. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it but this is mine. Be careful not to damage any sealing surfaces.

Sleeve Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades Gas

Next the cam shaft seal is a 18x28x6 lip seal. Same deal. Support the underside with a bit of wood and gently break the edge in before levering it out.

Eye Art Jewellery Electric blue Circle

To replace the seals wipe some engine oil round the outside and insert squarely. A socket sometimes helps with some gentle pressure. Make sure the socket is almost the seal diameter. You may then need a flat piece of wood and a hammer to make sure the seal is flush with the housing.

Light Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Nickel

I will get to the final drive seal later as that is a special seal.

Starter clutch rebuild next before the cover goes back on.

Replace the springs. My old springs measured 33.5mm and my new Honda ones are 36mm. ONLY USE HONDA SPRINGS.

Inspect the rollers and plungers for damage and insert the spring onto the plunger then insert the pair into the small hole in the assembly.

Fluid Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Hold the plunger in with a screwdriver and insert the roller. Then remove the screwdriver while holding the parts in place with a finger.
Vehicle brake Rim Bicycle part Automotive tire Nickel

To refit the rotor to the crankshaft I found it best to fit the gear and needle bearing to the rotor first. Then put the whole assembly on the crank.

If you try to put them on individually you will never get the rollers to go over the crank edge as the tolerance is too tight and you cant get your fingers in to depress the rollers.

Gear Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Crankset

Line up the assembly with the woodruff key on the crank and it should slide on.

Tighten the crank bolt to 90-105 Nm

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Nest step is to get the mechanical seal into the pump housing.

I used a 25mm/1 inch socket to keep it square in the vice again. Make sure the bore is clean and old blue sealer removed. Protect the rear face of the body with a piece of wood.

Bicycle part Auto part Machine Metal Nickel

Assembled right and its sits flush.

Plant Wood Tree Automotive tire Auto part

ALthough strictly not a sealed area, I added some of the 1215 sealer to the cable gland to keep bulk moisture out.

Finger Bicycle chain Personal protective equipment Font Bicycle part

I also decided to Hammerite spray the sensor plate to reduce the rusting for next time.
There is no torque setting for the bolts so I used the common 10Nm.

Bicycle part Crankset Gear Bicycle drivetrain part Rim

Now insert the two waterway dowels and the sealing O rings with the 1215 seaaler.

Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Make sure the two cover/casing dowels are in place (one each side)

Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim Motor vehicle
Bicycle chain Crankset Wood Bicycle part Automotive tire

Put engine oil on the kick start seal and the final drive seal and gently fit the rear casing.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Although I have green gaskets, I blackened the edges with a Sharpie pen

I used some copper grease on the casing bolts to make them easier to remove next time
Ingredient Automotive tire Wood Cuisine Flowerpot

Both torque us - 6mm 8-12Nm. 8mm 18-25Nm.

The manual says, test fit the starter motor before torqueing the bolts, to make sure the gear lines up but you can't really without doing up one of the bolts so fit it later and rotate the engine from the clutch side to make sure the motor has aligned.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Fit the final drive boot.

Automotive tire Tire Camera lens Wood Finger

Now back to the water pump.

I greased the tiny dowel pin to stop it falling out.

Gesture Finger Thumb Eyelash Nail
Automotive tire Hood Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake Bicycle part

Clean any rust off the can shaft. Grease the cam shaft a little and fit the pulse rotor. I marked the position of the pin slot to make sure they lined up.

Finger Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Auto part

When it is flush it is lined up

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Fit the pump seal collar. I slightly greased the cam shaft where it fits.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system Engineering

Next the pump impeller. First remove the seal set

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Line Gas
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

I had a rusty impeller so I ultrasonically cleaned it and then Hammerite sprayed it and refitted the new seal set (use washing up liquid on the seal to help insertion)

Automotive tire Wood Drinkware Adhesive Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Fit the waterway O rings to the pump body using 1215 sealer
Bicycle part Audio equipment Rim Auto part Metal

And fit the pump body to the engine. Making sure the two dowels are in place.Tap it home and rotate the engine to make sure the impeller doesn't fowl anywhere.

Push in the impeller against the mechanical seal spring and fit a new washer and the old nut.

Automotive tire Finger Wood Automotive wheel system Thumb

Torque the nut to 8-12Nm

Place the main O ring in the pump cover (again smear it with 1215 sealer)

White Finger Wood Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting

And refit the bolts and the one holding the intake manifold bracket (at the top of the picture). I used some copper grease again on the bolts after cleaning them up.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Metal Sculpture

Torque is 6mm 8-12Nm and 8mm 18-25Nm.

Now refit the starter motor with a new boss O ring. Bolt torque is 8-12Nm. You may need to rotate the motor from the front.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Front cover.

First make sure the oil way tubes are in with new O rings. There are two of them.

Finger Nail Thumb Material property Wood
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The a new O ring for the oil orifice. Note which way round it goes.

Hood Automotive tire Finger Motor vehicle Tread

Then the two cover locating dowels

Wood Gas Automotive tire Vehicle brake Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

And a new gasket. I Sharpied the edge black again.

The cover bolt torque is 8-12Nm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
I ended up making a clutch cover gasket. The one in most CX gasket sets on-line (even some sold as turbo sets) are for the standard CX which has a different bolt pattern.

There are a couple of places in the US that make gaskets (Murrays Carbs) and Copper Gaskets Unlimited" at 001 623 340 4300.

I ended up making one from gasket paper because I live in the UK and it was easy to make.

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Rim
Make sure the clutch piston is still in place. It is easy to loose if you move the clutch lever while disassembled.

Attach the cover. Bolts torque is 6mm 8-12Nm and 8mm 18-25Nm (these get fitted properly with the turbo bracket). Note where the oil pressure switch wire cable clamp fits (RHS of image)

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Machine Engineering

Next refit the oil filter with a new O ring and make sure the spring and washer are in the right order. The filter then pushes on. I soak the filter in engine oil before assembling it.

Automotive tire Rim Household hardware Nickel Automotive wheel system

Screw the cover on. 8mm 18-25Nm
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Personal protective equipment

My gasket for the breather cover arrived. Note the orientation.
Finger Gas Metal Circle Nickel

Bolts torque is 6mm 8-12Nm and 8mm 18-25Nm. Note how the neutral switch wire is trapped under the casing on the right
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Hood

41 - 60 of 75 Posts