Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got out a tested my full range today after several months of "issues". Switched over to reserve at 100.9 miles. With the full tank I had that is about 36 MPG. What is everybody's average MPG or Main tank range. I am thinking that mine is slightly low. I know I have some "unusual" carbs issues going on that is not helping the issue any, i.e. idle screws set at 3/4 turn out for best running, choke doesn't work causing me to use the throttle at higher RPM's to warm the bike up for about 1-2 minutes or so. Just interested in the average MPG and range of you all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
After changing the spark plugs and giving my 1980 CX500 Custom a oil change I got just about 50 mpg today. I don't run the gas down much before I get more so not sure on the range of my tank. I'll check the mpg better as riding season really gets here.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I can easily adjust my "Mileage" by twisting my right hand

Seems like 40-50mpg is about the norm

If I'm not mistaken... 100 mi to reserve would be about 50mpg w a custom tank.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It depends but 40-50 are the normal range. Last year I had one day with the wind at my back I was getting 54 and another with the wind right on me I was getting 35. That was a horrible day. I usually stay around 44.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For me, I get right at 50 mpg. When I can find real gas I get 55 or so but that is always controlled by a twist of the wrist

On my Gl interstate model I get 200 miles before reserve. I ready to stop before that though

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
We are riding GLs not CXs, but we got 50mpg on our last tank. Last year I averaged 45-50 and she got 40-45. Hoping we both stay around 50 this year. When I first got my bike I was getting 35mpg. I changed my plugs and started adding Seafoam to my gas. Shortly thereafter I shot up to 45-50mpg. I have since started using Berrymans B-12. I add at least 1oz to every tank of gas.

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
With my 500 c I use the tripmeter as a fuel gauge and start thinking about refuelling at 150 km.. [about 92 miles] Very rarely do I ever actually go onto reserve so my fuel cosumption must fall into the realm of normal for one of these bikes.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I get about 60 mpg,,but that is an imperial gallon. It would be about 50 mpg U.S.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It depends but 40-50 are the normal range. Last year I had one day with the wind at my back I was getting 54 and another with the wind right on me I was getting 35. That was a horrible day. I usually stay around 44.

I thought you might have gotten less, since you have re jetted and re exhausted. Interesting....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I clocked mine last week on a run out to the cafe and got a very respectable 66 mpg (imperial gallons tho, I'm in the UK)

56 miles trip

Used 0.87 Gallons

Cost £5 to refill at £1.30 litre (0.87 Gallons)

0.87g for 56 miles

66 MPG

I was very pleased with this as I've never owned anything this good on juice! I kept a steady 60 mph (5000 rpm) or so but the route is largely flowing A roads which probably added nicely to this figure.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i get around 50 to 55 to a gallon and around 130ish to a tank......and that is all depending on how much i twist my wrist...............

·
Registered
195 Posts
'79 CX500 Deluxe: 45 - 50 mpg.

No matter how hard I ride it, I've never gotten below 45. No matter how gentle I ride it, I've never gotten over 50.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I think the later CX500C has a slightly larger fuel tank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think my 82 GL500I has ever been lower than 50mpg, and has been up to 60mpg during the Summer riding at lower speeds on paved logging roads. Mileage was calculated by setting trip odometer to 0 at fill up and using the recorded mileage and gallons to fill tank, so there could be some odometer error or a bit of difference in fillup, but this seems to be the average. Lowest mpg is at 70 or so mph on freeway. I thought this was normal, but I guess it's better than that. Thanks for giving me something to compare my mileage to.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.