Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies in advance for this lengthy post, and I won’t always be so wordy, but I really need to outline my position here and appeal for help.

Well, I have my hands full. I have done quite a few restorations, but I normally like to start with something a little more solid, mainly because I am cheap and I am lazy. But this 500 Turbo is so special and so uncommon, that I felt compelled to bring it home.

I am normally scrupulously attentive when looking over motorcycles in consideration for a project. That’s why I was shocked to find a major surprise when I got home on this one - and it has me nearly deflated. There has been some serious monkey business on the rear tail section of the frame. With all the bodywork on, it looks perfectly normal, but the frame has been hacked off and somebody replaced it with bar stock so that the computer box, turn signals and tail light assembly could be mounted back up.

I discovered this nonsense when I was peeling all her clothes off. I cannot believe I missed it, but didn’t dig deep enough during the once over. I guess I was blinded by the fact that I was looking at a Turbo, and he claimed that there were eight people in line behind me. I don’t doubt it given the price he was asking.

I knew the bike had been dumped because the left handle bar is slightly tweaked. No other obvious signs of damage other than a slightly scuffed clutch lever. I don’t think it was wrecked badly enough to have done damage to the frame back here. I think it’s entirely possible that somebody intentionally cut it, and a subsequent owner went back and tried to re-create it. Frankly, I don’t know what I have or Why it’s like this. I only know I want to fix it.

So, my first appeal to the tribunal is which frames in the CX 500 world could be donors for this rear frame portion? None? I’ve looked and haven’t yet seen one that looks perfect, but I was hoping someone could give me a definitive list of target frames to look for. Hopefully there are some besides the unicorn turbo frame.

Thanks guys, I normally like to help and dispense advice, but n this case I’m begging.

I would throw up a couple of photographs, but it looks like I’m prevented from doing that until I have a few posts under my belt.

I did post a blurb on this bike on the Naked Goldwing Forum and there are shots over there if anybody’s dying take a look. No photographs of the condition that I’ve discussed above though, I’ll have to do that later.

Turbos are NOT Terrible - NGWClub®, Inc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I can attach a few shots now that I’ve been approved.

Please don’t ridicule me for bringing this monstrosity home, but I truly missed the “issue”. I might have still considered the purchase, but I can assure you that the already low price would’ve been significantly lower. This bar stock is literally welded onto the frame tubes and will require major surgery to remove. Both sides now have this “feature“. I have a buddy who’s a pretty good welder, but I do need to find the appropriate donor frame. That’s what my question is. Which ones are they?

This really was a disappointment given the overall fairly decent condition of the machine.
3831C3FF-9DE9-4964-942A-8DBBB13692E3.jpeg
47AB557A-C9BC-4897-A921-1501BAA68EE5.jpeg

·
Registered
598 Posts
Did they just weld a support over the frame? It kind of looks like it... If so, can't you just clean it up, paint, and call it good? If this is not an ultra low mileage collector, and just going to be a rider, I would just ensure everything is square, clean, paint, and go!

PK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I
the frames aren't the strongest back there and it may have just gotten tweaked and PO wanted to strengthen?
You know taking a closer look at this thing, I think you may be exactly right CX TB. I think that’s exactly what I’ve got. The original rails are there, they just mated this bar stock onto the original extensions. Sheesh.

Well, the bike does have 23,000 miles on it and has been on the planet for 38 years. Stuff happens. I had just hoped in the end to have a little bit better representation of the breed. I’m a lot less inclined to want to dump a lot of money into this thing. Maybe not even paint. Asi es la vida!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Duplicate deleted. Still not fully familiar with this forum software. Sorry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a couple of days of disassembly and bonding with this machine, moping over the “modification” to the frame shown above, I’m moving through the typical things that need to be done on a motorcycle that’s been idle for 10+ years. Couple of things have popped up already. Number one, got spark and I have fuel through the pump and the rail is pressurized. Will not even fart while cranking. Machine fires with a little fluid injected into the two ports (under the bolts) on the intake and runs for a few seconds. But it seems the injectors are not working. I do have 12 V on each injector which drops to about eight during cranking. I don’t have an oscilloscope and cannot see a signal, but does that sound normal? I really don’t want this to be a computer issue. If not, I guess I’ll be pulling the injectors and having them serviced.

Secondly, I was doing some work under the faring and pulled what was left of the air filter. Darn foam is crumbling to dust and it is in appalling shape. It was about then that I found out this filter is no longer available. I’m guessing that folks somehow replace the foam on this very solid metal frame and get on with life. Unless there’s a source for this thing I haven’t been able to find?
0047D218-87D8-4BF3-A599-037F96E07D3C.jpeg

·
Registered
598 Posts
Injectors are usually stuck from time....
Air filters usually look like that.. Vacuum the intake and reed valve good to remove all elements.

PK

·
Registered
278 Posts
After a couple of days of disassembly and bonding with this machine, moping over the “modification” to the frame shown above, I’m moving through the typical things that need to be done on a motorcycle that’s been idle for 10+ years. Couple of things have popped up already. Number one, got spark and I have fuel through the pump and the rail is pressurized. Will not even fart while cranking. Machine fires with a little fluid injected into the two ports (under the bolts) on the intake and runs for a few seconds. But it seems the injectors are not working. I do have 12 V on each injector which drops to about eight during cranking. I don’t have an oscilloscope and cannot see a signal, but does that sound normal? I really don’t want this to be a computer issue. If not, I guess I’ll be pulling the injectors and having them serviced.

Secondly, I was doing some work under the faring and pulled what was left of the air filter. Darn foam is crumbling to dust and it is in appalling shape. It was about then that I found out this filter is no longer available. I’m guessing that folks somehow replace the foam on this very solid metal frame and get on with life. Unless there’s a source for this thing I haven’t been able to find? View attachment 201608
Number 2054 is for the turbo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are great! Thanks for the filter number! Of course I vacuumed the debris out of the box, but I’m concerned about what might’ve gone down stream and already entered or might be poised to enter the turbo. Foam isn’t as bad as metal, but I‘d prefer there be nothing in that intake tube.

And the recommendation is to proactively do a water pump job, at the very least the seal, to prevent taking out that sensor? Is the sensor still available - or an alternative? That’s OK, I am sure that there are multiple threads on that topic here on the forum. I will do some homework.

Sheesh, I have had needy motorcycles before, but this beast is on a whole ‘nother level.

Thanks again for the wise counsel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
To check the Ne-sensors take a multimeter and measure between the white/yellow and yellow and between the white/blue and blue. You should have around 160 Ohm. If not they are cooked.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Regarding the frame, you might remove the bar stock, determine what weakness he attempted to reinforce (cracking?), and add a more appropriate reinforcement (internal sleeve, external half sleeve on the hidden side, etc.)

Randall

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, I don’t want to be a crybaby and on other cycle forums that I belong to, I am normally dispensing advice. But I freely admit that I am totally unfamiliar with this CX platform… Particularly in it’s turbo form. So, can anybody please tell me what this cute little conical shaped filter came from? I just pulled injectors and found this thing laying on the operating table. Only one. I’ve scanned through the microfiche I can’t seem to find where it goes. It’s too easy asking folks here who might know instantly. Besides, if I can’t find something in five minutes or so, I get irritated. I’m like that. So, should there be only one? Did it even come from this motorcycle? Lots of bikes cross this table. I am pretty sure it came from the turbo.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
I believe it is the fuel pump filter mounted on some aftermarket pumps on the inlet or outlet side of the pump

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe it is the fuel pump filter mounted on some aftermarket pumps on the inlet or outlet side of the pump
Ha! That's it. I pulled the inlet off the pump the other day. It must have popped out and I missed it. Thank you sir. Had it stuck in my brain it was injector related.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
duplicate deleted

·
Registered
598 Posts
Factory conical filter that goes in the inlet of the fuel pump... sometimes when you remove the inlet hose it comes out with it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts