Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I bought a rust bucket of a CX500C a few months ago. I stripped it all down, and painted and rebuilt everything. The motor needed its cylendars honed. So I took care of that. I finally got the motor installed, but then had to go out of town for 10 days. I then came back and was having trouble getting it started. This afternoon, she finally started! It was a great feeling. The exhaust system was not on, so it was nice and loud. I do not really like loud bikes, but for the first time hearing this motor, it was pretty cool! It ran much smoother than I thought it would without an exhaust and before any adjustments. I need to get gaskets for the H-Box, so I may not be taking it on the road for a few more days, but tomorrow, I plan on testing and adjusting brakes, and tidying up any loose ends. I am encouraged that I will still have some warm weather left. After I get a few loose ends finished up and get the exhaust on, I will post a before and after pic.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great News, I was wondering how you were coming! A lot of people would have parted that bike out, great to see someone dig in and not give up.

Congrats on the progress!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great News, I was wondering how you were coming! A lot of people would have parted that bike out, great to see someone dig in and not give up.

Congrats on the progress!

Thanks! I experienced a little bit of a delay today. I had to order exhaust gaskets for my h-box. They will not be here until wednesday. I almost got exhaust tape from the autoparts store, but I figured this was not the time to cut corners. I did start the bike a few times today just to hear her scream. I think I should be able to tie up any loose ends before my gaskets come in. I had an oil leak, but I fixed that last night. She ran today and did not drip at all.

I do think the smarter choice would have been to part this bike out. I could have made enough money to buy a CX500 in decent shape. I do like knowing that I revived a dead machine though. Just don't tell my wife that I have about twice what I could sell it for invested!
This project was as much therapy for me as anything, and it is worth the extra money that I put into it.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Reagan40 that is so true, got mine for $300 and have put proabably $1000 into it now, but there is something to be said about resurecting a bike
I know I would never get back what I put into it, but then again I think Im going to be buried with this bike

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks! I experienced a little bit of a delay today. I had to order exhaust gaskets for my h-box. They will not be here until wednesday. I almost got exhaust tape from the autoparts store, but I figured this was not the time to cut corners. I did start the bike a few times today just to hear her scream. I think I should be able to tie up any loose ends before my gaskets come in. I had an oil leak, but I fixed that last night. She ran today and did not drip at all.

I do think the smarter choice would have been to part this bike out. I could have made enough money to buy a CX500 in decent shape. I do like knowing that I revived a dead machine though. Just don't tell my wife that I have about twice what I could sell it for invested!
This project was as much therapy for me as anything, and it is worth the extra money that I put into it.

Great work!

I have been told not to run a bike without the exhaust for long something about damaging the exhaust valves. It is hearsay so I do not know if it is true but I tend to err on the side of caution!

Congrats!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think that the entertainment and pleasure, plus the experience we get by working on these bikes, has value that offsets many of the investments that we make. While I may not recoup the full dollar amount, what dollar value do I put on these other intangibles?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that the entertainment and pleasure, plus the experience we get by working on these bikes, has value that offsets many of the investments that we make. While I may not recoup the full dollar amount, what dollar value do I put on these other intangibles?

Good point. This is the first motorcycle I have ever owned. When I was 17, I rebuilt an old Jeep. I have worked on cars ever since. That experience helped me understand the basics of how a car worked, and I have been better at trouble shooting and fixing issues because of that. I decided that I wanted to be just as capable with a motorcycle. I feel like I know this bike pretty well. If it ever has an issue, I will at least know where to start. Had I just gone to the dealer and bought one, I would not have that understanding.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great work!

I have been told not to run a bike without the exhaust for long something about damaging the exhaust valves. It is hearsay so I do not know if it is true but I tend to err on the side of caution!

Congrats!

Thanks for the heads up. I just ran it for a few minutes, a few times. I do not plan to run it anymore until the exhaust is on. I prefer to be cautious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.