Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently built a 3 wheeled Honda powered "Morgan" Replicar.

This machine has been designed and built from the ground up using CX500 power and rear wheel.
I have an extensive automobile engineering back ground, so I was able to draw up plans to design a safe, strong,
lightweight car/motorcycle using real Morgan photos and dimensions. I have taken many photos of the process
and documented the entire build, if there is an interest,
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Car
I can post this info here.
Derek R. Costello C.E.T.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,089 Posts
How does a person calculate the amount of weight that a engine of a certain torque can adequately propel?

I always wondered that with the CX500 Morgan conversions. I thought the 650 engines might be adequate but I know a lot of Morgan's were made with cx500s.

How much weight can 30 ft pounds of torque from the CX500 engine move around adequately?

Looks like you have a pretty substantial frame and front end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have recently built a 3 wheeled Honda powered "Morgan" Replicar.

This machine has been designed and built from the ground up using CX500 power and rear wheel.
I have an extensive automobile engineering back ground, so I was able to draw up plans to design a safe, strong,
lightweight car/motorcycle using real Morgan photos and dimensions. I have taken many photos of the process
and documented the entire build, if there is an interest, View attachment 214650 I can post this info here.
Derek R. Costello C.E.T.
Because many people/companys have already used Honda CX500s in their builds and Honda rated the bikes at 750pounds (two fat riders and the bike) I could see that the CX500 would be ok if we were to watch the weight of the construction. I used 3 stages of build ,the square 1 1/4" steel tube chassis. The upper all aluminum frame 1" square tube and the Honda power package and rear wheel mounting. The total 765lbs.
Because we have an extra wheel to carry the weight and braking I figure I will be OK.

I have posted my frame design and my front suspension mods. this is based on using a Smartcar front
suspension platform and lower "A" frames, the spindles are modified Smartcar, upper "A" arms Mustang 2
and rack & pinion steering Mustang 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Before me and a bunch of others get excited, do you have an estimated cost on materials and man hours on this build. Are you planning on using an additional transmission. I would definitely need a small passenger.

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Derek have you checked Ontario MTO regulations for three wheeled vehicles? At one time the only homebuilt trikes allowed were one front, two rear configuration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before me and a bunch of others get excited, do you have an estimated cost on materials and man hours on this build. Are you planning on using an additional transmission. I would definitely need a small passenger.
Sad to say I was hoping to keep this Morgan replica build under $8,000., but so far it is over $11,000. and climbing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derek have you checked Ontario MTO regulations for three wheeled vehicles? At one time the only homebuilt trikes allowed were one front, two rear configuration.
The MTO in Ontario have a Pilot project on right now on what to do with the big influx of registration of 3 wheel cars. They say until the study is completed they are to be registered as motorcycles, which would mean
you would have to wear a helmet! Unless it is registered as an Antique vehicle, then it becomes a car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started with cutting and welding up a 1 1/4" x 85 thou wall square tube frame with all welds continuous and carefully done. All my curved tubes I did with a Princessauto rotary tube bender. The front engine cradle and suspension mounts I had to fabricate the 16" diameter bends at the front. This whole assembly is bolted to
the Smartcar front platform. see pictures.......

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love the JZR replica, and would have bought one except in Ontario it becomes a "new car build" and requires seat belts and MTO inspections.
I live in Florida and we do not have helmet laws. My car is registered as the donor cycle, which is a 1983 Honda CX650. Florida stopped vehicle inspections many years ago. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I knew I had to have spoked wheels for the front, so I bought Triumph TR4 wheels 15" x 4 1/2" I shod these with 155 x 80series x 15" tires, skinny with a high profile. I bought 1978 MG Midget brake & clutch assembly
at a British swap meet, with a new master cylinder and a fabricated clutch hook-up I now have front brakes and a working clutch. I constructed motor mounts to match the Honda 4 bolt areas at the rear of the engine.
I used fabricated front brackets for the front engine mounts, these along with a new Mustang rack & pinion
were mounted so as not to have bump-steer problems. (Unlike the 2009 Morgan). I have since built my steering column and removable steering wheel and connected them all up. I have posted pics.
I live in Florida and we do not have helmet laws. My car is registered as the donor cycle, which is a 1983 Honda CX650. Florida stopped vehicle inspections many years ago. Good luck with your build.
Can you post pics of your JZR build? I like their engineering and would like to see a real build.......

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Unfortunately, I bought my car from the original builder as a complete, running car. It did need a lot of detailing, carbs rebuilt, and lots of small changes, but I can't take credit for the building of the kit.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
How does a person calculate the amount of weight that a engine of a certain torque can adequately propel?

I always wondered that with the CX500 Morgan conversions. I thought the 650 engines might be adequate but I know a lot of Morgan's were made with cx500s.

How much weight can 30 ft pounds of torque from the CX500 engine move around adequately?

Looks like you have a pretty substantial frame and front end.
Theres lots of 600cc micro cars on the roads currently..
The old motors used in some of these (original)3 wheelers had low hp/torque values....
The frames of the newer models are pretty basic....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I'm continuing the 3 wheel build: I cut the Honda CX500 at the rear frame just ahead of the seat mount bracket, I knew it was important to retain as much strength as possible at the engine mounts and the swing-arm mount. I have posted pictures of this cut and of the mounting to a frame. The frame in this area requires a great deal of strength as it has to deal with torsional loads, pushing by back wheel load, roll-bar mounting,
and braking at the rear loads. In my frame construction I incorporated many diagonal braces and corner struts. Also at the rear will be mounted the gas tank, battery and the cooling radiator.
I cannot mount the rad. behind the engine because it limits foot room, so I mounted it at the rear with an electric fan and louvers on the side to provide cooling air. Like most (Morgan) builds I have fixed seat and adjustable pedals.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I'm continuing the 3 wheel build: I cut the Honda CX500 at the rear frame just ahead of the seat mount bracket, I knew it was important to retain as much strength as possible at the engine mounts and the swing-arm mount. I have posted pictures of this cut and of the mounting to a frame. The frame in this area requires a great deal of strength as it has to deal with torsional loads, pushing by back wheel load, roll-bar mounting,
and braking at the rear loads. In my frame construction I incorporated many diagonal braces and corner struts. Also at the rear will be mounted the gas tank, battery and the cooling radiator.
I cannot mount the rad. behind the engine because it limits foot room, so I mounted it at the rear with an electric fan and louvers on the side to provide cooling air. Like most (Morgan) builds I have fixed seat and adjustable pedals.
A note about how I got the power from the engine to the back wheel. Because the CX500 output shaft is high up on the engine and off to the right side. I did not want to run a drive shaft straight back to the wheel connection, this would have left no room for a passenger seat! So I have seen guys use universal joints and centre bearings and a universal joint at the rear to get to the Honda drive line.
This seems like a lot of alignment problems and introduces "whip" with 3 universals So................
I engineered two pair of 3" sprockets, bearings, adjusters, and additional side-load carrying bearings.
This got my drive shaft down on the floor and in the middle of the car where I wanted it. Both ends of this shaft
have to shed side loads and the Honda output and wheel input are not designed for this so therefore the independently mounted shafts and bearings......... check the pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was thinking of a similar concept, but using a big block Moto Guzzi engine. I'm not about to tear apart my pristine California Custom, but I'm sure the 1400cc engine would have plenty of torque and HP to power a small car with two passengers.

If I only had a barn and new how to weld.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking of a similar concept, but using a big block Moto Guzzi engine. I'm not about to tear apart my pristine California Custom, but I'm sure the 1400cc engine would have plenty of torque and HP to power a small car with two passengers.

If I only had a barn and new how to weld.
Hey Mr. Shank, Tri Cars in England makes a Morgan replica kit that uses a Motoguzzi engine, take a look at their website Triking or something............

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A note about how I got the power from the engine to the back wheel. Because the CX500 output shaft is high up on the engine and off to the right side. I did not want to run a drive shaft straight back to the wheel connection, this would have left no room for a passenger seat! So I have seen guys use universal joints and centre bearings and a universal joint at the rear to get to the Honda drive line.
This seems like a lot of alignment problems and introduces "whip" with 3 universals So................
I engineered two pair of 3" sprockets, bearings, adjusters, and additional side-load carrying bearings.
This got my drive shaft down on the floor and in the middle of the car where I wanted it. Both ends of this shaft
have to shed side loads and the Honda output and wheel input are not designed for this so therefore the independently mounted shafts and bearings......... check the pictures...
Also I have a sketch of the modifications to the Honda input and an output shafts to facilitate chain drives
to and from a central driveshaft in this 3 wheeler.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts