Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year (long sordid story for me, if you really want to hear it let me know, I do have 3 bikes) my son-in law took my 1982 GL500I engine apart to repair a leak in the rear seal. and I had a crack in my clutch housing cover (replaced off of parts bike). A couple of days ago he said that he was done and all he needed was the fluids and to put in a couple of bolts.

Before he dropped the engine it ran well and shifted into all gears. I have probably has about 38,000 miles on this one. It's the one I would like to take to Alaska next summer with my grand daughter when she graduates high school.

Now I have 3 gears total and no neutral.

So my granddaughter and I looked at each other for a long, time Wednesday night, and today we went out and took off the fairing, the seat, the gas tank, the exhaust....

After I drop the engine tomorrow, can someone steer me to clear pics of what the parts under the back cover align look like when they align right and any other random suggestions you might have. The one random suggestion I know of and will gladly follow is to check that it moves through all the gears before one puts the engine back in the bike.

I don't always work on bikes anymore due to fibro but am coming out of retirement now to do my own wrenching other than basic maintenance but it has been a long time.

I have one more engine (1981 GL500I) that I could just drop in, but really would like both bikes to remain intact. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Take a look in the WIKI pages and you should find a good set of picks on the proper alignment of the shifter arm.

Reactions: Marty

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
It could also just be the misalignement of the gear shift lever - make sure the dot on the lever and the dot on the shaft are aligned - might well solve the problem without having to remove the engine..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts