Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about three weeks I am planning on taking the Silverwing on my first extended bike tour! Virginia to Arkansas up through Missouri and back! Some of you probably know this bike from the previous owner as I bought it from Spacetiger! The bike has been and is a absolute dream! What a incredible machine and his upgrades were and are spot on! It did acquire the squeak from hell about a month ago so I went ahead and tore her down and put fresh moly 60 on all the suspension bushings! Job was not nearly as bad as some of the posts made it out to be! She sure is smooth now! I am new to GL ownership and would appreciate any input on things I should check before such a long trip. Bike is running outstanding and it feels like I should have no problems. I will keep posting about the trip once I get out on the road!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Check tire pressures, coolant and oil levels every morning, and enjoy the trip.

I would take along a spare headlight bulb and some spare fuses just in case but I'll bet you never need them.

I've got a pint of oil and one of coolant that have nearly as many miles on them as the bike itself. Only needed to add oil once in all my travels and never coolant.

But best to have them and never need them instead of the opposite.

Sam Bateman

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Have you switched over to a main blade fuse? The honda ones are hard to find on the road when a simple blade fuse holder can be wired up and found everywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck and have fun man I'll be doing a 2000 mile journey here in about two week from Indiana to Arizona! Be safe!
Good question and no I have not I am guessing that previous owner Jerry- Spacetiger from the old board, he only had very few posts here but documented his upgrades extensively on the old board I do believe, probably has changed this out but I will check into it and see? This is exactly the type of info I am looking for! I hate to be kinda a dummy on this but I am new to these bikes and working on bikes at all. You are talking about the main electical fuse? Where should I look? If it has not been changed out and I do not do it before hand is the fuse something I can buy ahead of time directly from a honda dealer and take with for spare? Thanks so very much, Jay WELL THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO GO TO BLINDSTICH I DO NOT KNOW HOW I REPLIED TO THE WRONG POST? & I do not know how to correct it Anwyay thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you switched over to a main blade fuse? The honda ones are hard to find on the road when a simple blade fuse holder can be wired up and found everywhere.
My apologies for also being new to bot the forum and riding but what exactly is a blade fuse and what would it do? Is it just the fuses in the box on the handlebars?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
My apologies for also being new to bot the forum and riding but what exactly is a blade fuse and what would it do? Is it just the fuses in the box on the handlebars?

He's talking about the main fuse on a GL500, since you have a CX500, the buss fuses used in your bike are very common and can be found anywhere. It is still a good idea to swap over to a blade fuse from the original glass fuse if you're doing any work in the area or find corrosion at the main fuse holder.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
That's nice, short and sweet. Definitely pictures worth a thousand words.

I would add one caveat, (it happened to me), make sure the new fuse holder doesn't utilize too heavy a gauge wire. I bought one at a local parts store in the blister pack, when I went to install it, the wire was so stiff and thick, I couldn't get it to bend enough to fit! Of course I only found out after I had cut it, but I'll find a place for it somewhere sooner or later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks alot! I'll definately make sure to check that out when I get my bike back wouldn't want nothing to slip up on the 2000 mile ride home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.