Honda CX 500 Forum banner

20th HTTA Amish Rally 2021

14K views 100 replies 16 participants last post by  TonyG 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATED JULY 05, 2021

This is the place to discuss the annual Amish Rally, which takes place every year in and around Milton PA, USA.

This will be the 20th anniversary of the Amish, those two decades went by fast....

If you don't know what it is, use the search box for this board, or check the sticky'd post titled "HTTA AMISH RALLY information".

Post all comments/suggestions/concerns here in lieu of making new posts on this same topic, this will make it easier for everyone to follow.

Dates are set and confirmed with cabin management, locked information post has been updated.

BLUE = BE THERE, even if you can only make it for a few days, or
even one, you'll be welcomed.

PS: A typo or two, and some grammatical and punctuation errors were left uncorrected here and in sticky'd post, this one's for you Dave. ;-)

See less See more
Reactions: Thunder Muscle
#69 · (Edited)
Amish is open as of 6PM this evening, 5 souls and 3 Twisted Twins already accommodated, including our illustrious private chef Joe and Dan our desert man.

UPDATE:

Bill S rolled in with CX (non turbo variety). Expecting a few more for the weekend.

Even a ride to Wally World around here is a unique experience.

Reactions: nippongreen
#70 ·
Weather is on the hot side, but not much chance of showers in the coming week. Decent riding temps for tomorrow and the weekend. A few more are heading this way in the next couple of days. A golf outing is in the works.

There's even a shiny new sign to help find the place.

#73 · (Edited)
Reactions: TonyG
#74 ·
Golf for some, flea, farmers and antique market for almost all, and riding the beautiful twisties of Penn for a few.
Incredible amount of Amish horse-drawn carriages see on the roads and back roads during the ride, TonyG who led the ride, estimated we encountered more than 50 carriages. While none of us have a great understanding of horses, the horses pulling the carriages today were VERY impressive animals, to say the least. The Amish we saw were all in their Sunday best. A unique experience to see so many out an about, no one had seen this many on any of the previous rally's.
Tonight we opened a bottle of 21 yr. old JW XR, toasted to the late Dave Weiner and shared our stories about him. TonyG gave everyone who was present a $2 bill, no explanations necessary.

#75 ·
IF someone can save me a $2.00 bill, it would be very fitting to have it framed and hanging on my garage wall.
Wish i was there.
All The Best....Keith......:cool:.........

Reactions: Cobram
#77 ·
Back home. It was great to attend this year, never disappoints. Always a perfect mix great breakfast and suppers ( lots of bacon), BSing all day long, great rides, and cammardie amoung CX\ GL enthusiasts.
Thanks to Steve for keeping this going, Joe for cooking, and Tony for ride through Amish site seeing.

Any lurkers out really should put this on their calendar and attend next year. Ride or trailer your bike. Great time to relax.

#80 · (Edited)
I feared lingering effects of the bumpiness and harsh road that we rode over on the first part of our excursion into sugar and brush valleys. But I am happy to report that I've suffered no ill effects from the ride. I had taken a little air out of the rear shock before leaving for mifflinburg and perhaps that helped.

As Steve mentioned, it is about as many horse and buggies that I've seen and passed in quite a while. It was Sunday afternoon and many were going home from church or going to visiting, possibly even going to youth events and gatherings for the afternoon and evening. The Amish hold Church in their homes will move the service around to different homes if the basement of the home or a room of the home is large enough for a gathering. I should have pointed out to my fellow riders of the chairwagons. Chair wagons are covered wagons smaller than a hay wagon but larger than a buggy or spring wagon. They accommodate two to three rows of chairs and are two levels high. I had seen at least one and maybe two as we traveled through the valley. They will move the wagon to the next place that they're needed either for a wedding a funeral or a church service.

Old order Mennonite cultures that I am familiar with have church houses in which they meet on alternate sundays. The Sunday which they do not meet they are assigned persons to visit. Typically, two groups can use the same church house and reduce the overhead expense of maintaining a church building.

A couple other things that we noticed on our ride was that tobacco is being harvested and put in barns to dry. We had seen some farms where the tobacco wagon was out on the field with half the field harvested already and the other half waiting to be harvested likely this week or the next few weeks. You can usually tell a tobacco Barn by the movable boards on the side of the barn to allow for ventilation. And we saw several barns like that and so where some tobacco was being dried in a greenhouse.
If one ever enters a tobacco Barn or attends a tobacco sale. They can expect a semi-sweet aroma to be in the air and even to remain in the barn.

We went by Harry Tarzan who is a former CX owner and who had came to the cabin many years ago. Harry is known for his center hub Earl's front end single sided swing arm front end on a motorcycle in which he has a Subaru engine mounted in a BMW chassis. I wish that Harry was home so that we could have visited and found out what new projects he had going on.

#82 ·
Another Amish over. Got home around 7:15. Learned that they took my Brother-in-Law off the respirator this morning and he passed within 5 minutes.

#83 ·
Learned that they took my Brother-in-Law off the respirator this morning and he passed within 5 minutes.
I'm sorry to hear that, Dan. You have my condolences.

#84 · (Edited)
When I got home, I realized I forgot to grab the remainder of the pie. I hope you guys ate it. If you didn't...lie to me & tell me you did! lol
This year's pies: Coconut Custard and Cherry Crumb
Tints and shades Ingredient Cuisine Currency Circle
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Fast food

#85 ·
Another Amish on the books, looks like we may make it to the 25th Anniversary rally in a couple of years.

Joe did not disappoint this year, if we could get the folks from Michelin to the Penn back woods, Joe would make the book with 3 Stars. Top-notch ingredients and meals. Joe's also our golf pro, although Dan gave him a run for the money, up until Dan's cell phone became MIA at the course and distracted them from their game. All is good though, as much later in the day, a groundskeeper found the phone just as the heavy clouds were rolling in. Coincidentally, Dan was heading for the course with a flashlight and the hopes of sneaking onto the greens to look for the phone after hours at literally the exact moment the phone was found.

We were very fortunate that we found a driving range to "warm up", suffice to say, many of us hadn't played in many, many years, or at all, ever. It would have been a LOOONG game had we gone directly to the course, 3 out of every 5 shots I took off the tee were negative, as in the ball actually ended up behind me and the tee. My best was a negative two yard drive, you're supposed to get a low score, so I guess I won. ;-)

Russ was so impressed (depressed?) with my performance, that he donated his clubs to me, bag balls and all. It was either because he thinks if I practice I'll improve, or more likely watching my technique off the tee put him off of golf forever.

Dan is the man when it comes to pies, the above images he posted don't do them justice. The coconut cream pie was very good, the best. Get yourself a hoity toity address in an area with lots of urban (urbane?) professionals, and you'll clean up. There's one such place I know of in Dallas, they charge $30-$50 a pie, and yours are just as good.

Tony came over and graced us with his presence, led a nice ride, as chronicled in a post above, that one will go down as THE Amish ride, as we saw more Amish and their wagons on the road than any of us will likely ever see again on a ride.

Again Sebastian came through with domestic duties and filmography. He asked me to thank everyone for allowing him to be part of the event, even though he doesn't (yet) ride. He thoroughly enjoyed himself, he's an outdoors kind of guy, whose vacations used to consist of weeks on the banks of the Amazon river, trying to see if he's got a fish on the line through the clouds of mosquitos.

Deals were made after extensive negotiations between BillS & JT, both went home happy afterwards, so success.

Ron also stopped by to pay us a visit at the cabin, we were supposed to meet him at an eatery we had frequented on one of the great "Ron's Rides", but the weather didn't cooperate. He brought a new toy for us to drool over, a gorgeous Ruger 22, the man knows quality.

Big thanks to Russ and Sebastian for sticking around until bugout day to help with the cleanup and clean out. We left the place in as good if not better than we found it, making sure the HTTA will be welcomed back in the future.

Lots of fun and laughs, Parr for the course (see what I did there.) Rich was going to make an appearance, but it seems that he's busier and more sought after, post retirement.

#86 ·
I have some bad news for the 2022 Amish Rally. This month the Country Cupboard will close. My wife and I decided we better go there for one last supper. Well, so did a lot of other folks. We waited in line from 3:50 PM until 5:50 PM. I will say that the roast beef was excellent. This country is being hollowed out and it is so sad to see what has happened to it thanks to China and inept government officials. On a little brighter note, we are getting a Texas Roadhouse restaurant to open soon, if they can staff it. They are next to the Harley Dealer on the Golden Strip. Pizza Hut is open but only for take out as nobody wants to work for the wages I guess. Gas is $3.599 for 87 octane. Anyone want to guess how much it will be next August? The last batch of heating oil I got was $2.92 a gallon. Damn cold weather won't let up. Okay, rant off for now. Anybody have any other info to share? Shout out to all my past riding partners.
Ron

#93 ·
I'll post this week. I sent a message to the usual suspects today.
Haven't checked this board in a while.
I will take the block offered to us by cabin management, Aug. 7th to the 17th, these may not be the actual start/end dates.
I'll keep everyone posted.

#96 ·
I received confirmation from Cabin management, the cabin is ours from Sunday, August 7th until Wednesday, August 17th.
Mark your calendars, get your work schedules squared away, etc.
I will update the stickey'd post and start a new Amish thread for this year soon.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

#100 ·
Seems to be quite a BMX/skateboard/scooter facility as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.