Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,276 Posts
I'd like to do this ride. My Grandmother's ancestors were Swiss who helped establish Germantown and immigrated to Canada in the early 1800s to establish Erbsville that became Berlin/Kitchener. On my bucket list.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd like to do this ride. My Grandmother's ancestors were Swiss who helped establish Germantown and immigrated to Canada in the early 1800s to establish Erbsville that became Berlin/Kitchener. On my bucket list.
That GL650 of yours has been out there once, it deserves a return trip! (In fact I think my profile pic I took when I was on the way home from the Amish the one year I went.)

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
966 Posts
if I'm not mistaken, Germantown is a suburb of Philly or a sub borough of Philadelphia. We would be 150 mi to the north west of Philadelphia.

It's called the Amish rally because the first gathering was in a campground that was within writing distance of Lancaster PA. Lancaster PA is the second or third largest Amish community area in the us.

In Pennsylvania the Amish and Mennonite cultures have been distributed throughout the state for the most part. We are within 20 mi of a genuine Amish community and within 35 miles of several of them.

Hook up with Randall out there. He mentions this ride being on his bucket list also and he has either a daughter or a niece or some relative in Northern Maryland that he talked about visiting.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,600 Posts
My mother and a couple sisters are in MD. We're hoping for a family road trip there this summer. Last year got nixxed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Planning on putting in for vacation days Thurs to Monday, 8/12-8/16.
Gives me an extra day (Sunday) to enjoy, than my usual time slot.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Because of other commitments I will likely arrive Sunday night, toward the end and I'll surely miss seeing some friends, but it's the best I can do this year. Looking forward to it just the same!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Unfortunately, due to our glorious border restrictions, it looks like the Canadian contingent will not be attending AGAIN this year !!!!!!....Grrrrrrr
I'll certainly be there in spirit, so hoist a few Yuengling's for me ;)
Cheers.......Keith........:cool:.......

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Zoom zoom zoom!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The first post in this thread, and the sticky'd post with rally information, has been (finally, sorry for the delay) updated.

·
Registered
GL650
413 Posts
Every time I plan to show up, something comes up. So I don't plan to show up on Thursday, and I don't plan to stay 2 or 3 nights. I didn't change my oil in anticipation of a road trip, and I haven't missed this crew one little bit, nosirree.

But just in case I do end up coming, I will put on my raingear and wear it the whole time so nobody will have to worry about it raining.

I will cook just for fun. Not drinking these days so there's a relief for those of you stocking the coolers.

Hoping to bring minimal toolset and bad advice for anyone interested in learning how to do things the hard way.

If anybody has some replacement clutch cable ends (lever end, side barrel type) and ferrules, I would really appreciate one or two so I don't have to buy a whole kit.

Here's to the best laid plans of mice and Ben.

·
Registered
GL650
413 Posts
Also, wanted to mention, if anybody is coming from points west of me and needs a place to crash to break up the trip, I have a spare bedroom and a couch, plenty of good eats in the neighborhood and a grill in the backyard, plus tools and supplies if needed. It's a little over 4 hours from me to the Amish on the interstate, or about 6-7 hours on the scenic parallel routes that I plan to take.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It will be good to see you again, Ben. I hope you can make it.
Dan

Reactions: Retroben

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Several of us will be hitting the links. Bring clubs if you are so inclined. No experience necessary!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Several of us will be hitting the links. Bring clubs if you are so inclined. No experience necessary!
Why not just aim for some ground hog holes in the field in front of the Rally Site?
BTW, I an't riding this year..........or probably ever again. Just not a priority right now. Bikes are for sale if anyone wants a good ST1100 or XR200/250.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Sorry to hear you are giving up riding, your tour leading was always a high point of my visits to the Rally, both for they're spirit and for your consideration, as well as visits to your shop and mechanical assistance. I saw parts of that area of PA I wouldn't otherwise have found myself. Central Park Hotel comes to mind amongst many others!

I have stopped riding twice in my life, and both times resumed as situations/marriages/health changed. Personal decisions are obviously, well, personal and all should respect that. I hope our paths will cross on occasion, we are more than just our bikes. Maybe the Rally will bring a buyer to Milton for you? Best wishes going forward.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
966 Posts
Agreed, Ron knew and knows the Northern tier like the back of his hand and was gracious to share it with the group. As a child and teenager our father would often take us on "Sunday drives". We often didn't know where we were destined to arrive and what we were destined to see but usually once or twice a year we would wander up into the northern parts traveling in either a 1950 ford or a 1962 galaxie 500, both well used in their day..

The places such as PA Grand canyon and Morris, even Happy acres, Red Rock and Cherry springs were familiar names to me but hyner view was not though I had heard about the hang gliding expeditions.

It was quite good of you to offer to lead rides northward and you became quite famous for it.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
966 Posts
Are you intending on playing the bucknell course or perhaps white deer? Or are you open to other suggestions?

Shade mountain golf course, Lost Creek golf course, Indian run golf course are all south and west of camp but within 45 minutes or so drive. And there is two or three par three courses in the area for those with stiff backs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanks Rich and Tony, It was a lot of fun leading those rides. (Except for Phil's complaints. LOL.) I could still ride but I just can't justify it as I only had the ST1100 out twice in each of the last two years. What is the point? I'm really astonished I have never gotten a ticket on that bike. So great to WFO throttle on it. But then I keep thinking of the consequences of my luck running out. I have read a few stories on ADV Rider about those who ended up getting a quick ride to the emergency room and some of the life changing injuries. So at 73 I don't think the risk/reward is worth taking.
Someone is going to be able to enjoy some fine bikes if they select one of mine. Please plan to stop by on your next trip to the area, whether it is for the rally or not.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts