Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED JULY 05, 2021

This is the place to discuss the annual Amish Rally, which takes place every year in and around Milton PA, USA.

This will be the 20th anniversary of the Amish, those two decades went by fast....

If you don't know what it is, use the search box for this board, or check the sticky'd post titled "HTTA AMISH RALLY information".

Post all comments/suggestions/concerns here in lieu of making new posts on this same topic, this will make it easier for everyone to follow.

Dates are set and confirmed with cabin management, locked information post has been updated.

BLUE = BE THERE, even if you can only make it for a few days, or
even one, you'll be welcomed.

PS: A typo or two, and some grammatical and punctuation errors were left uncorrected here and in sticky'd post, this one's for you Dave. ;-)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
As I am now officially retired, I find myself with a great deal more flexibility. As far as I'm concerned,,, we could book the whole time! Yay, retirement!

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
970 Posts
My thoughts would be to reserve Wednesday to wednesdday or Wednesday to tuesday, with flexibility mentioned to Jay for any preceding or afterwards renters who strongly desired to include a Wednesday with their weekend.

Then if some of the aforementioned retired folks want to open early or hang around and close late and the Tuesday before and Thursday after are still available, they could likely have the place to themselves the way that Steve in PA used to. though that really isn't the purpose and intent of the reservations.

I think Steve used to get relief out of being away from some issues at home and out in the wilds of Pennsylvania for as long as he could stay regardless of whether or not there is a motorcycle rally going on.

The extra day would make it more worthwhile for Larry from California and Randall from Minneapolis to come in and hang out.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
970 Posts

These are two destinations that are relatively beside each other about 2 hours ride from the cabin. The East broad top railroad is under continuous renovation and the work and renovations can be seen at their Facebook page.

The Rock Hill trolley is a neighboring town or borough and has a trolley museum and trolley rides on which I've never been.

The ride itself to the town is worth the time . A few years ago many of us went to a covered bridge and a town called academia as part of a scenic ride through juniata county's countryside. Orbisonia and Rock Hill would take us in that direction and over some of the same roads.

Even if I'm not riding or leading rides it would be a great destination for anyone who wants to venture out that far.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Dan the Pie Man ;-) may get his wish. Cabin management has booked us for Aug. 10th - Aug. 19th.
It would be GREAT to use all these days, I'm working my schedule as best I can so far out, but barring anything unforeseen I'll make it happen.

I will post the final schedule in the next week or so to the sticky post. I did let cabin management know that we're flexible enough that should they need the first day or so, or the last day or so, we could cede those days if they give us enough notice.

Let's start making plans, this year a Yuengling Brewery ride is in the stars (this made last year's list, but just wouldn't be right without a Canadian or two in tow.)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Was able to carry over unused vacation time from last year, so I should be able to stay a little longer.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
970 Posts
Looks like Dan the Pie Man ;-) may get his wish. Cabin management has booked us for Aug. 10th - Aug. 19th.
It would be GREAT to use all these days, I'm working my schedule as best I can so far out, but barring anything unforeseen I'll make it happen.

I will post the final schedule in the next week or so to the sticky post. I did let cabin management know that we're flexible enough that should they need the first day or so, or the last day or so, we could cede those days if they give us enough notice.

Let's start making plans, this year a Yuengling Brewery ride is in the stars (this made last year's list, but just wouldn't be right without a Canadian or two in tow.)
Check to see if the town of Jim Thorpe is in route to pottsville. Jim Thorpe was originally named mauck chunk, a name meaning sleeping Bear, which depicted the outline of the nearby mountain. Nearby mountain. The town was renamed Jim Thorpe when the athletes third wife found disdained with Tulsa Oklahoma's lagging attempt to raise funds to provide a memorial for her late husband. The mayor of Jim Thorpe / mauck-chunk, seeking a tourist attraction to compensate for dwindling tourist activity agreed to create a memorial and rename the town.

Jim Thorpe was a coal mining town and one of the first gravity railroads which later became a sort of first roller coaster and turning the town into a amusement attraction.

The town and a few surrounding towns are also the scene of the trials of the molly maguire's. One of the accused and convicted, who was teaching the miners to read and write and held divinity classes, proclaimed his innocence stating that his hand print would remain on a support column in the basement of the jail as a testimony of his innocence. Some claim after several paintings whitewashings and renovations the hand print can still be seen.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
970 Posts
Steve, do you think we should post this on some of the Facebook groups? Do we want to invite the unknown modders and rockers? Or is it just as good to let those of kindred spirit find their way here?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve, do you think we should post this on some of the Facebook groups? Do we want to invite the unknown modders and rockers? Or is it just as good to let those of kindred spirit find their way here?
I think it would be more prudent to direct them to this board if they're interested.
Fascist Book is too public a forum.
I've followed threads on there and some FB users go full psychotic on the most innocuous of posts.

IF you follow certain CX/GL related pages on FB, you have a feel for people who post often etc.
Invite those folks you "know" from FB over here, we've never vetted this board, and it is available to the world.

The more, the merrier, but instead of a mass post to FB pages, direct the likely future HTTA members over here instead.
This forum is much better and more useful for CX/GL owners than anything I've ever seen on Fascist Book.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
even McRider a somewhat "conservative" site is being " shaf**d" by Facebook.....

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
970 Posts
Fascist Book is too public a forum.
I've followed threads on there and some FB users go full psychotic on.

If you're referring to a post I made about 2 months or 3 months ago about my personal freedom to voice my point of view to guys who are going to cut up a nice example of a CX500 or gl500 then I resemble that remark of going full psycho, haha

not really, but I got irritated of the constant comment of it's his bike let him do what he wants. The counter to that is it's my opinion let me do what I want with it. Within reason of course. Some kid finds a good running bike that the great uncles second cousin twice removed had in his garage, thinks it's worthless and starts into a cut up but then loses interest. Those are the types of things that a person wants to instruct the fellow of the potential value for the motorcycle he has as is.

Only about half of them nice after they're done, in my opinion. If you don't have the means to replace the forks with the beefier inverted forks then I wouldn't bother with a cafe build as the spindly forks looks inappropriate for the Stout looking engine in rumbling sound!

Vroom, vroom.... know what I mean

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Friday/Saturday/Sunday are, have been and always will be "otherwise" booked for me on the 2nd weekend of August. That was my input 20 years ago and still is. But wait! It's not only about me I just realized :rolleyes:. Being recently retired I can probably get there a few "shoulder days" one side or the other of the weekend. Thanks for coordinating again Steve.

Reactions: TonyG

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tony, they made the cover of this month's Trains rag.
I PM'd you a PDF copy of the article.
If anyone else wants it, let me know, and I'll PM it to you.

Looks like a possible ride for this year's Amish.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
135 Posts
Hi all, Just curious - is this on from Thursday 12th thru to Sunday 15th? Are there additional days? I am in Maryland and would love to make it to a GL/CX rally (a first for me).

If it's on, is it camping? cabins? hotels? Is there a registration site?

Sorry to ask so many questions - I really just want to set the date/destination and ride :)

Cheers, Adrian

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Adrian and anyone else interested.

Read the first post in this thread. If you still have questions after reading it, ask away.

I'll be updating the sticky'd post any day now, but the "what" information will pretty much be the same for this year.

Hope to see you there.

Hi all, Just curious - is this on from Thursday 12th thru to Sunday 15th? Are there additional days? I am in Maryland and would love to make it to a GL/CX rally (a first for me).

If it's on, is it camping? cabins? hotels? Is there a registration site?

Sorry to ask so many questions - I really just want to set the date/destination and ride :)

Cheers, Adrian

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500, 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate, 1980 CX500 Custom
135 Posts
Thanks, I look forward to the updates. I hope to be there :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts