Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rules are the same as they have always been:
1) Participation in the Polar Bear Ride is open to all forum members.
2) Go for a ride of at least 1hr duration on either Dec. 31 2022 or Jan 1 2023 or both. (I usually head for somewhere that is at least a half hour from home, stop for a meal or to visit someone or something like that and then make sure I take more than half an hour to get back home).
3) Take one or more pics &/or a video and post them in this thread.
4) Click the following link to Piper's Patches where you can order Polar Bear Run patches and year rockers (it looks like he has discontinued the pins)
Security Measure

· Registered
227 Posts
Saturday looks like a good riding day here- 31 degrees and sunny. Better than Sunday, which will be 39 degrees.

Of course, that is Celsius degrees, so I don't think either is quite in the spirit of the ride. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PDC-500B

· Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,578 Posts
I thought you were talking Fahrenheit. I'm longing for 31F!

Reactions: TheValk

· Super Moderator
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the past I've suggested that Aussies might call it the Thorny Devil Ride and South Africans perhaps the Springbok Ride but you would have to find local sources for the patches.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
In the past I've suggested that Aussies might call it the Thorny Devil Ride and South Africans perhaps the Springbok Ride but you would have to find local sources for the patches.
Tho for some reason Queenslanders (in Oz) have an affinity for polar bears and bundys.....😜

· Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,510 Posts
39 is almost "unbearable" too, so think of it more as a Penguin Ride ?
I've never not rode because it is too cool
But I often don't ride because it is too hot

· Super Moderator
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since New Year's Day fell on Sunday we decided to make this year's PBR driving Kay to church. Some readers may recall that we did this for the 2018 ride when New Year's Eve fell on Sunday but while it was about -30c out that day it was a pleasant +3 when we left this year. It felt almost too easy.
I didn't take pics because I forgot to take my still camera (my phone's camera is terrible) but I did take video. Other things got in the way of editing it for a couple of weeks but it is finally uploaded
(Note to Rich: The bendy roads start about 7 minutes in)

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Road bends with stop lights are called intersections here! I’ve seen airport runways with sharper curves! 😆. You could make a motorcycle autonomous there by clamping the handlebars straight ahead! (Just funning with you Bob). That said, I haven’t been out on a bike lately this winter, so hats off to you and those others out riding still. 👍

· Super Moderator
19,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll admit that I'm cheap so I've been ordering year rockers at a time every 2nd year to save the cost of shipping. This year Piper's only has 2023 rockers and I'm not impressed with $15.26 CAD to ship something that could go in an envelope for letter rate postage.
So I shopped around and found a Canadian source for similar rockers. The colours are different and the dimensions given are different but 2 rockers + tax + shipping came to $5.31. They arrived yesterday. Here are pics of them sitting on the vest (these ones can be ironed on but I think I'll sew them too). They don't match the ones from Piper's (I knew that before I ordered them) but I think they look OK
If you are as cheap as me and want to order the same ones here's the link (enter the year you want in the search)
E-Patches & Crests - Canada Iron-On Patches, Pins, Charms & More
Sleeve T-shirt Emblem Sportswear Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sleeve Vehicle Font

FWIW, I've had occasion to email Steve at Piper's a few times over the years and every time he takes longer to reply and the answers seem like he is a bit confused. Since he changed to selling exclusively through eBay there is less selection than when he maintained his own site too so I have a feeling that he may not be selling patches many more years so we may all be looking for alternate sources eventually.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts