Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I thought it might be time to update what is happening to me. I have been dealing with CLL, which is the mildest of the five forms of leukemia. I am currently getting chemo to prevent it from mutating into something else. So, it is very doubtful that I will be making the Amish Rally this year. Know that I will be there in spirit, even if my body isn't willing.

On another note, CLL has left me with a minor balance issue to the point I was/am feeling I shouldn't be on two wheels. I lucked into a really nice used CanAm and bought it. Unfortunately, I only have about 300 miles on it so far and with this chemo I am going through I haven't been riding at all. Maybe in time I will be able to ride both two and three wheels.

I do have an apprentice/friend whom I have been working with for a little over a year now whom I am trying to pass on all my CX/GL knowledge. He works full time though and it is hard for him to participate as much as is needed. I am hoping he will take over what I have been doing as far as repairs and mentoring others in the future.

If anyone needs any GL parts please feel free to contact me. I don't have many CX parts, but many engine parts are the same. Also, at one point this past year, Custom Rewind was thinking of going out of business and I bought up a bunch of green stators. If you need one feel free to ask how my supply is if you need one.

I will update how I am doing once in a while, but I am not spending a lot of time on the computer lately. I do miss following all of you, but I have to take care of myself. I have participated in at least 7 generations of CX/GL forums and have tried to do my best to help in any way I can through the years. My first generation of belonging to CX/GL forums was about 20 years ago with a 300 baud modem if that tells you anything. Please keep these bikes running and think of me once in a while at the Amish. I will be there even if not physically.

David

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Best wishes for your health Dave. It seems there are several midwesterners who would like to come to the PA Amish Rally, but only following you. (If they could keep up!) 2020 pretty much sucks anyway, so here's to a better 2021.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Yes, I took a pic just like that one Steve. Craig Vetter was our hero, Retroben and I shared a mutual respect for his contributions to motorcycling long ago. Then he got all weird on us. Scooters, high mileage contraptions, new agey stuff. I'm going back to sleep now.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Seven days to "Time to hit the road Jack" Somebody warn the Amish.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Keep up the fight, David. You'll get through this.
Our regularly scheduled Zoom Meetup corresponds with the Saturday of the Amish Rally. Hopefully, someone will log in from the cabin, and we can be there virtually.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I thought it might be time to update what is happening to me. I have been dealing with CLL, which is the mildest of the five forms of leukemia. I am currently getting chemo to prevent it from mutating into something else. So, it is very doubtful that I will be making the Amish Rally this year. Know that I will be there in spirit, even if my body isn't willing.

On another note, CLL has left me with a minor balance issue to the point I was/am feeling I shouldn't be on two wheels. I lucked into a really nice used CanAm and bought it. Unfortunately, I only have about 300 miles on it so far and with this chemo I am going through I haven't been riding at all. Maybe in time I will be able to ride both two and three wheels.

I do have an apprentice/friend whom I have been working with for a little over a year now whom I am trying to pass on all my CX/GL knowledge. He works full time though and it is hard for him to participate as much as is needed. I am hoping he will take over what I have been doing as far as repairs and mentoring others in the future.

If anyone needs any GL parts please feel free to contact me. I don't have many CX parts, but many engine parts are the same. Also, at one point this past year, Custom Rewind was thinking of going out of business and I bought up a bunch of green stators. If you need one feel free to ask how my supply is if you need one.

I will update how I am doing once in a while, but I am not spending a lot of time on the computer lately. I do miss following all of you, but I have to take care of myself. I have participated in at least 7 generations of CX/GL forums and have tried to do my best to help in any way I can through the years. My first generation of belonging to CX/GL forums was about 20 years ago with a 300 baud modem if that tells you anything. Please keep these bikes running and think of me once in a while at the Amish. I will be there even if not physically.

David
Best of luck w/ your health. My oldest sister just came down with CLL as well

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Dave,
Get well soon EH !!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,115 Posts
Dave,
Get well soon EH !!!!
Yes! Maybe a Can-Am ride to the Great Canadian CX/GL Rally next year, assuming no covid, good health and a willing organizer....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Only three more days to the Amish Rally in PA. Bill and I plan to ride from Connecticut. I'm getting the feeling we'll have our choice of bunks, heh heh heh.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Only three more days to the Amish Rally in PA. Bill and I plan to ride from Connecticut. I'm getting the feeling we'll have our choice of bunks, heh heh heh.
The count of "definitely will attend" so far is 6, so, yes, we can "social distance" with at least 3 beds between each CX/GL'er. ;-)
4 out of 6 will be riding, plus maybe 2 locals joining us.

There are 2 or 3 others who MAY show.

I will likely be opening the gate on Wednesday evening, the cabin will be vacated on Tuesday and management said no problem with taking possession a day early.

For those on the fence, this is likely the only non-Harley event on this years motorcycle calendar, last chance. Even if you don't ride, a change of scenery does the soul good and helps maintain what little sanity some of us have left! You know who you are.... ;-)

See you soon.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Steve, Thanks for hanging in there and hosting under strange circumstances. When I saw you had posted I thought "Oh no, here's the cancellation notice". I should have known better! Never underestimate the Brazilian! Thanks buddy, Bill & I will will roll in sometime Thursday. Weather is trending toward better, bikes might only get washed a couple of times enroute. Less than 48 hrs to blast off! :D

Reactions: Cobram

·
Registered
40 Posts
The count of "definitely will attend" so far is 6, so, yes, we can "social distance" with at least 3 beds between each CX/GL'er. ;-)
4 out of 6 will be riding, plus maybe 2 locals joining us.

There are 2 or 3 others who MAY show.

I will likely be opening the gate on Wednesday evening, the cabin will be vacated on Tuesday and management said no problem with taking possession a day early.

For those on the fence, this is likely the only non-Harley event on this years motorcycle calendar, last chance. Even if you don't ride, a change of scenery does the soul good and helps maintain what little sanity some of us have left! You know who you are.... ;-)

See you soon.
Make it 7. Riding in on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y) :D Be good to see you again!

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Russ is one of the confirmed, JT is semi-confirmed as I got info from an indirect source that he would be showing up.

We arrived (my nephew and I) at the cabin at 10PM tonight, after a leisurely drive down. Even took in some back roads in rural New York. Not on purpose, a word of caution for those who use a motorcycle specific GPS, don't forget to take it off "windy roads" mode when you want the quickest route. ;-)

The only surprise on the road was the lack of traffic, coming through Scranton etc. the traffic was the lightest I've ever seen, in all the years I've come down that stretch of highway.

Nothing to report on the road conditions, all very good, light traffic, except for ONE bridge (a few miles out of Wilkes Barre) which had a decent size pothole in the right lane.

If anyone arrives early, the gate is closed but not locked.

Should we go out (unlikely) for a shopping run before anyone shows, I will message you folks coming via sms with the hiding spot for the key outside.

That is all, over an out from Zeager Base.

No response likely means not showing?

Always enjoyed riding with Russ and daveW, as well as others

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Sure wish I could have come this year. I hope y'all will check in on the zoom meeting on Saturday!
Dan

101 - 120 of 157 Posts