Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Tony said "Rich, how is that knee (s) and health coming along? ". In November I had my 2nd hip replaced, exactly one year after the first, I'm fully mechanical now! It all turned out just fine, except I'm still XX years old, heh heh. If anybody in comtemplating a hip replacement, it worked out well for me, twice. My knees still are OEM and working good. I hope to do more riding this year, starting with the snowmobiles this weekend in Vermont. August Rally in PA? Maybe. September Rally in VT? Maybe.

Reactions: nippongreen

·
Registered
106 Posts
Rich, Good to hear surgery went well, and you're looking forward to riding to this year.
Possibly we could put together a late spring Tour o' New England rally/ ride. Maybe a cabin to cabin long weekend ride.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Well dang. I've run into a scheduling problem and will probably miss the Amish rally again this year. Turns out my high school class is holding our 60-year reunion August 14-15, and I'm bound and determined not to miss it, as I got snookered out of the 50-year bash ten years ago by #$%^& work requirements while I was still employed. It's out in north-central Iowa, a long haul from here and from Zeager's cabin, and I can't be both places at the same time. I'll just have to deal with the psychological shock of seeing old girl friends who are pushing 80, while of course I haven't changed a bit.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Damned rude of them not to check your schedule first. lol My 50th is next year. I hope I don't have the same conflict. I would have to make the choice.
I've started work on the GL. Front brake sealed up with new reservoir & O-Ring. working on my new custom mud flap for the front fender. When that's installed, it's on to the fairing with lots of wiring to do.
Dan

·
Registered
718 Posts
Month or 2 ago there was a fire on sunrise rd. They said it was a log house, so i don't think it was zeagers cabin. There are likely several log houses along sunrise rd including next door

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Month or 2 ago there was a fire on sunrise rd. They said it was a log house, so i don't think it was zeagers cabin. There are likely several log houses along sunrise rd including next door
Local PA news article.

Looks like it was someone's residence. Which makes it worse IMHO.
The cabin looks like it was brought up to fire code for dwellings with wood burning stoves. Likely for insurance reasons.
Riding through backwoods Maine with BillS and a few friends last year, and there were at least one or two wood stove heated homes in every town which had burned to the ground during the winter. We even chatted with a guy who lost it all and was badly burned when his home went up in flames across the road at a place we stopped at for gas/lunch.
Moral of the story is that you can never be too careful around a wood stove or fireplace.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
In case anybody is interested, the Little League World Series was cancelled for this year. I know the rally was scheduled not to coincide with it but it is now not a factor either way. BTW, is the rally still scheduled? Kind of hard to social distance in that cabin. Or is it D.O.A.? Anybody know who this gentleman is?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm likely going whether any of you decide to show up or not. ;-) I don't foresee too many unscheduled trips for me this year, but you never know.

Things are evolving daily on the virus front, if new info and stats continue in the direction they're going, not too many worries now, let alone by August.

I am going under the knife Wednesday to roto-rooter my knee, re-unite some estranged meniscus and contour the bone a bit to stave off a full Terminator knee replacement, at least for a while. Recovery is only a few weeks so if it goes as planned I'll be putting in a full riding season which includes the Amish. It's been so long that I've forgotten what it's like to swing a leg over the bike without wincing.

I'll be at the cabin, if any of you decide to wander in or stop by, I won't turn you away.

Some of the attendees from my first Amish Rally. (2008 I think) Phil is behind the camera, and there were about a half dozen out on a ride when this was taken.
It's a wonder I ever went back! 🙃

·
Registered
28 Posts
In case anybody is interested, the Little League World Series was cancelled for this year. I know the rally was scheduled not to coincide with it but it is now not a factor either way. BTW, is the rally still scheduled? Kind of hard to social distance in that cabin. Or is it D.O.A.? Anybody know who this gentleman is?
View attachment 200704
Okay, here’s my guess:

That Gentleman Who Fell To Earth is none other than Fogelsville Joe demonstrating his method for making snow angels when he used to live in PA.

Hope to see you at the Amish.
Ride on,
Paul

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
That's Phil, test riding a plot.
Is it cheating that I've been around long enough to remember your old avatar? I also remember, "Any warm day above ground is a good day."

Randall

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Randall is correct.
It was at the former mining town of Centralia, PA where all the residents had to leave due to an underground fire. I suggested the set up to Phil and he was the subject of the scene.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was hoping that the rally would be on this year.
Was planning to bring my motorcycle to Maine this memorial day weekend, but just found out about the 14-day quarantine.
Bought new helmets for my wife and I, along with a Sena10 Bluetooth to communicate with my Sena20S.
Makes the ride enjoyable as I can share music and then switch to the intercom.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Cobram sez "I'm likely going whether any of you decide to show up or not. ;-) " Sounds good, I'm trying to think of a reason not to go, and haven't thought of one yet. :rolleyes: Best of luck with the sugery and recovery. I'll touch base with Bill S as the time draws nearer.

Reactions: Cobram

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Paul is correct! The handsome leisurely devil in the cemetery photo be me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Paul is correct! The handsome leisurely devil in the cemetery photo be me.
No It is NOT you Joe. I took the photo in or about 2010.
Here is a slightly different view. It's Phil Gilbert and he is tired from trying to keep up with me.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
With so many handsome members it's difficult to tell them apart . . .

Reactions: Cobram

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
One of the few advantages of the Pandemic Year is less traffic. A PLUS for the Road Knights of the HTTA at the PA Rally. (y)

Reactions: MCReviver

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Riding down memory lane a bit today, some of the great daily destinations and the riding to get to and from the Rally cabin in Milton, PA each day. Every year I have gone I enjoyed the area more. MCReviver was responsible for much of that, (y) . My days of riding 2nd behind you may be slipping away, but I'd ride sweeper for you any day! Forksville, Hyners View, The Central Park Hotel, Eagles Mere (Git yor sr aircraft mechanic out here, he'll trade this biplane mag for our tickets in a NY minute) (he did!) and the Gamelands in general. Tony's rides (and PA buffalo stories). The folks, the BS sessions, the feasts, the HTTA comraderie, remembering riding friends past, the bikes, the tech sessions, stacked porches, riders coming in from far off and exotic places like GA, FL, WI, TN, Canaduh, AK, and one year Australia! The early morning quiet on the back porch with an early riser or three and hot coffee brings back fond memories. Yuengling beer. Bacon of various textures. Good times.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Rich. Yes, there are a lot of memories now after all these years on two wheels. Remember the hail storm at the restaurant after stopping by the Honda museum at Bob Logue's? The hail turned my driving lights on then off again when the hail hit the switch just right. Speaking of the guy from Australia, Don Seedsman, he Gene McCall and I had lunch at the Bridge Tavern on South Market Street in South Williamsport. I introduced both to the owner of the establishment and when he heard Don was here from Australia, he asked, "Do you get the same TV shows we do?" Don replied in his native Aussie, "Yeah, but they're all upside down." I think I had CocaCola shoot out of my nose on that one.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts