Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am replacing the disintegrating left hand control on my 1980 CX500D with a 2012 CBR1000RR. I have all the wiring figured out except the headlight switch. Since the CBR uses a relay it has a 2 wire switch instead of a 3 wire switch that puts power to low beam or high beam.

Following the 2012 CBR diagram it almost appears that the low beam always has power and when the high beam is switched on it applies power to both hi/low sides of the H7 bulb, but I am not sure if that's wise.

Has anyone ever used this left hand control on their CX500? Am I reading it wrong that the CBR puts power to both sides of the hi/low bulb simultaneously?

Any insight would be helpful, attached is a copy of the CBR wiring diagram with the headlight switch.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I think that on any us motorcycle the head light it’s always on. It’s powered by the ignition switch. I may be wrong maybe someone with more experience will have more info for you

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Sorry my mistake.
Look like on the cbr the low bean will stay on with the high at the same time
I think they use 2 separate bulbs.
Again maybe someone with a CBR or more experience in electronic can help you out

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I think that the CBR1000rr has two headlamps, one is low beam, on all the time, the other is high beam, switched by the high beam switch. Others with more knowledge of the bike may correct me.
To get those controls to work properly with a single headlamp may require the use of a relay to cut off the low beam when the high beam is turned on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts