Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do folks put on their motorcycles? I know folks on this forum ride a lot & I'm curious about how much. I regularly see bikes several years old with only a couple thousand miles (or even less) offered for sale. My bother in law for example did not ride either his Harley or his modern Indian at all this year. He was too busy with work & his father's passing. But even in good years he doesn't ride much. I on the other hand was on reduced hours most of this year including all summer so I'll be lucky to match this in 2011.

My 2010 stats:

05 Shadow sold 4/1/2010 - 406 miles

83 CX650 bought Jan 2010 - 2586 miles

09 Vulcan bought 4/1/2010 - 8137 miles

Total 11,129 miles

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Well I can tell you I don't feel as good about my response and was locked down by lack of cash and the girlfriend a bit but between May 1st to October 1st I only put on around 6,000 miles. After October it was like pulling teeth to get miles on. As for the truck I probably only put on about 1000 miles in the same period. It only went to work and home 5 days a week. 7 miles total.

This year will be better. I hope.

CX500 Custom Supertanker

May to october 6,000 miles

·
Registered
745 Posts
How many miles do folks put on their motorcycles? I know folks on this forum ride a lot & I'm curious about how much. I regularly see bikes several years old with only a couple thousand miles (or even less) offered for sale. My bother in law for example did not ride either his Harley or his modern Indian at all this year. He was too busy with work & his father's passing. But even in good years he doesn't ride much. I on the other hand was on reduced hours most of this year including all summer so I'll be lucky to match this in 2011.

My 2010 stats:

05 Shadow sold 4/1/2010 - 406 miles

83 CX650 bought Jan 2010 - 2586 miles

09 Vulcan bought 4/1/2010 - 8137 miles

Total 11,129 miles

i can put about 5k just crossing to the US to go to work,,,, weather has been nice ,so me hard rain not usual here but over all great weather,,,,,i´ve been on some small trips ... need to go out much more,,, new years resolution i guess

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
2010 mileage? -0- due to the total restoration but 2011 is going to be different.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I purchased an 83 cx650 early summer and rode it about 5,000 miles . Rode to work everyday day till it got too cold and the chance of ice. I'm in the market now for a used touring bike... either a 1200 wing or possibly a late 80's yami venture. i've also looked at a few Kawi 1200 voyagers... has anyone out there had any experiance with the Kawi?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
No idea but not as much as I wanted

One ride to Cumbria and back on the beemer two rides to London and back on the CX

is all I can recall.

the rest was pretty local and logged up mainly on the CX.

All a bit disappointing really, I hope to get out longer/further this year

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Wow! That's 3/4 of the distance around the planet. You're going to wear out those bikes .

Pleasure cruises only on the 81 GL500 Interstate , no grocery trips or commutes, 21 of them between May 17 and Nov 5 - 3786 km, that's a mere 2272 miles.

Gopher, thats chump change for David, he does not consider his bikes "broke in" until they are approaching 100,000 miles! For myself I only squeezed out a couple of grand this year, on the hack and the 650! I hope Don in Oz discovers this thread, I would like to hear what he clocked last year.

Gene

PS: I am determined that 11 will see more miles, regardless of health or anything else!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I sincerely hope you do Gene. I see a pattern as we age where the 'fun' things in life are scaled back or eliminated for various reasons - riding a bike is good for the spirit.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Did about 5600km on the GT, maybe 900km on the GL, about 600 on the CX, 500 or so on the KTM. No speedo on any of the 2

strokes, except the L5T and its still a project. So close to 7500km on the street and maybe 1000 in the dirt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
10,100 miles this year. I rode from the first week in March till Christmas week this year. mainly to and from work but got some trips through the Catskill and up to Americaid in Lake George for 3 days( a must do for anyone who rides).would have had a few more opportunities these past days but i dropped the engine out for a water pump seal, cam seal @ the tach drive and exaust repairs. The CX is my only ride with a total of 61,900 so far.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
No speedo on any of the 2 strokes, except the L5T and its still a project. So close to 7500km on the street and maybe 1000 in the dirt.

We used to put a simple hour meter on some of those, they make tiny ones that will run off almost any power source.

Although most of my 2-strokes had street legal status (thus odometers) others didn't so I'd just run them until they started showing signs of needing to have the top end done or, in most cases, they'd eventually seize up. Usually all that meant was boring the cylinder, a new piston, rings and wrist pin. Unless you were using inferior oil the bottom end rarely suffered. I always used Klotz synthetic or Mercury Quicksilver which is far cheaper and more available. What I like about either is you can choose anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 and not have to worry. I would of course stick to the bike manufacturer's specs though and consider any mods you may have made. I'd ride my MT/CR250 cross combo at 30:1 on the street with Klotz but if I was hitting a true motocross situation I'd always change it to 20:1. Older engines mind you, and the oil wasn't as good back then as it is today, now we've got gas that's of questionable quality.

If you live in an Ethanol state toss a few gas cans in your trunk or the back of your pickup and grab some 100LL from any small airport, they wont say a word if you're not putting it into your car/truck tank. It costs a bit more but you're getting the best as aviation gasoline is produced under extremely strict standards.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It was a short year for me what with part of it in Ohio and no place to ride.

After moving to TN, Knoxville and so many places to ride I clocked in a solid 6 grand this year

and wore out the rear tire! 2011 will be better fer sur.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Finally got a look at the odometer, I managed to get 8474 in this year, not too bad seeing as I barely rode in October and November since I was pretty sick a lot of the time. Nary a hiccup in those miles too, gotta love the CX for being reliable when well loved.

Mike

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm not sure total miles for the year, but per week from April to June and from Sept to Dec. I ride at least 200 miles a week, to work and back is a 40 mile round trip. No idea at all what I do during the summer, some days I ride over 50 or 60 miles and others might be only 5 or 6 miles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will be doing 500km a week, so that will 26,000km a year. So that would be 16,200miles a year.

Excluding weekend rides or trips.

Maybe I should have got a bigger bike. :)

Curt

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got my gl500I last year actualy this month last year it had 23,000 miles on it and i was forced to stop riding in september due to a nasty hole in the tank (found it under some bondo
) but aside from that i put on 3000 miles in never got to leave the state but even with the bad carb problems she carried me anyplace i wanted to go.

I love this bike and plan to put a sh*t load of miles on it this summer
vegas hopefully but definitly hitting the beaches in oregon and california along with the redwood forest

Cheers Rob.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.