Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi riders,

Someone pointed my gaze toward a 1983 CX650e after my attempts to purchase other bikes fell through. I've read ample info about the bike and there are loads of positive reasons to jump on one. (even though after I sold my '76 naked goldwing I swore off liquid cooled bikes).

My question: what is it like for two up riding? I notice the footpegs are recessed slightly suggesting a semi-sport bike crouch. I'm fine with that but I'm concerned about comfort for the passenger as the rear pegs seem high. I'm 5'11, 175lbs, my gf is 5'3, maybe 125 lbs .

I cannot find a photograph anywhere that shows two people seated (parked or moving) on a CX.

Can anyone enlighten me about their experience or share a photo?

Thanks.

Roy

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Two up riding on a CX650C sucks donkey balls.

The seat sucks, the shocks suck, and the ergonomics suck, and that's just for the primary rider.
I had a pillion on a 650C once for an 80-100 mile ride (been years, exact mileage is long lost to the synapses), we both came back with jacked up sciatic nerves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm sure someone is going to be able to help you out more specifically than I can, but I can somewhat reply to you. I have a 1980 CX500 Custom. I added a rear backrest to insure my daughter would be safe, but no other real modifications. I am 6', around 180. She is 5'4", 110 lbs. Though we haven't been on any extended rides, the bike is very comfortable for both of us and hasn't lacked in performance or handling. Actually, I hardly even notice she's on the back when she is.

I don't have any photos of us on it together or I'd be happy to share them. It is a very comfortable ride though and I can imagine that the 650 would only be better :)

Good luck to you!

Again, welcome!

(Edit: Wish I would have read Timothy's reply first lol :) )

·
Registered
398 Posts
The E and C are totally different riding styles.

Only had a passenger on once and don't remember her comfort but power wise had no issue.........biggest problem is she didn't like leaning around corners :rolleyes: :D

The seat is stepped a bit ,best bet is too take her with you when you check it out and both have a seat.

Where roughly are you located..

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight. It is so hard to find photos of people riding bikes. I've had this problem before with other bikes in a quest to find good photos of riders on bikes.

It takes time to earn a passengers trust if they haven't been on many bikes. I get the part about not liking to lean. It's counter-intuitive to people who don't ride.

I'm in Montreal.

Roy

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Oops, my bad.
650e is a completely different animal.

Without a backrest, you'll have a 125 lb backpack, but as long as she leans with you, you're good to go.
Make sure you pump up the front and rear to compensate four the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I've ridden two on my CX500... And i love it! Tall girls, short girls, skinny, or as heavy as me. They all fit just fine. Specially when they squeeze on you off the line.

From the 650s that I have ridden I can't imagine it's any worse.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
650 Euro are designed for two-up riding . I have never had any complaints from passengers on mine , and there has been quite a few . But the 650 Euro is pretty rare in the US - you might have to go to Canada to find one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Yes, thanks. I realized after some further research that the Euro was not available in the US and so my question was not lofted in the best forum. I'm in Montreal, Canada and there are a few for sale was winter approaches. I just found a site that suggests the 1982 CX500TC has similar features. I guess I could add that I am 52 years old and my days of iron butt, marathon-riding are behind me (pun intended). I read in Classic Bike magazine a few years ago that the CX500 was a great city/commuter bike and that a lot of inner-city couriers used them. I have to admit I'm not fully converted to their aesthetics. I was hoping to find some anecdotal evidence about 2 up riding that might help me warm up to them even more.

Roy

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Either which way you look at it, you "lofted" your question in the BEST forum for the CX/GL variants......no matter what country you are in.

I've never had a pillion rider on any bike, so can't really speak to that.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You want the best two up cx?
CX500 D with a king/queen seat.
I had a girlfriend on four cx's.
500d, 500t, 650c, and gl650i.
Hands down, her favorite was the 500d with the king queen seat.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
All you have to do is read some of the great salt stuff here on the forum for a treat, but it won't carry any weight to the topic at hand.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,899 Posts
Hi Roy,
Yeah I have a 83 CX650E and wife has found the back seat comfortable ,Sharon is 5'2" at 130 lbs myself 6'1" at 190 lbs. Bike handles the weigh excellent. Only thing I did was install a trunk ,as a backrest for her comfort and prevent losing wife off back end of bike.The extra storage space is handy too.I did have to make my own brackets to mount it with and if you do buy a 650E personal message me and will take pictures for you and send them over.Yeah wife is 57 and I'm 54 so you should be Okay with a E model. Interstate silverwings are good for 2 up as well. Cheers and good luck , Gerard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi again,

Thanks Joel in the Couve for the salt link. I like reading about people's experiences and a few years back I was unsuccessful in convincing a buddy to partner up with me on a salt project. After reading Edinir's account of his trip I am a bit envious. I found his note about the salt and rust amusing. Everyone here in Montreal will be going through our yearly rust protection and oil spray down on our cars in preparation for the icing thick salt that gets scattered on our highways and city streets.

And thanks Gerard for the note about your experience. I'm not planning on any major cross-country tours but I want her to feel safe and comfortable from the ergonomics of the bike and not just because she trusts my riding skills. The idea of a back rest bump is on my mind and I like the fact the bike has a grab rail that I can modify to accommodate one. A small trunk is an option and if I go that route I'll take you up on your offer for some pics.

Thanks again for the comments and opinions. I might have to start a site that solicits photos of riders ON their bikes as it seems they are rarely published on line. Or maybe I can manufacture a lightweight monopod that attaches to a motorcycle and extends outward so we can mount Gopros and iphones on them and take self-portraits as we ride.

Roy in Montreal

1 - 20 of 34 Posts