Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Im in the process of replacing the coils on my 1980 CX500, the ones on the bike I believe to be the originals after 80 odd thousand miles as they have the wires soldered into the coil.

The replacements that I have bought come with 2 spade connectors. I'm a little confused as to which one of these connectors I should be using. The shop I bought them from said that I can use either of the 2 spade connectors as the coil will be earthed to the frame of the bike. Any one know if this is correct?

I don't want to mess up the Ignitech that I just installed by wiring them directly together the wrong way round.

Thanks for any help you guys may have on this,

Connor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The box is branded with 'AI high performance ignition coil'

There are 2 spade connectors on the 'in' side one underneath and one to the side.

That is unfortunately all that I have on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, I managed to get to the bottom of it. So that there is a conclusion to this thread I managed to swap out the coils on my cx500 with the 2pin ones I bought.

Running the coil with just one wire didn't work, so I had to work out which one was likely to be the 'in' side, based on recommendations I went for the insulated pin.

This still left me with a spare pin and as I mentioned before, not connecting it meant the bike didn't start. So I connected this pin to the bolt that would normally earth the coil through the frame with a fork style connector (you could use a ring connector but I didn't have one of these in the correct size). There are some photos here to hopefully help explain this for anyone e that may be confused.

Doing this meant that the bike fired right up and ran on both cylinders absolutely spot on. This still didn't solve my issue of not revving over certain rpm, and a stator test didn't reveal anything out of place, especially as I am running an ignitech system. Still trying to sort this out.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts