Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) I just pulled my carbs apart and neither side had the below (piston cover) gasket. I'm going to check with the local Honda dealer to see if I can order them. If not, can I use the paint on gasket stuff if they are difficult to find? Also, what are the ramifications of not having them?

2.) When I removed the floats the float needle was hanging from the float. Should the float be simply sitting on top of the needle or does it sit in between the flaps on the floats as pictured?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If you did not have the gasket I would think there would be a leak around the cap causing poor performance at higher rpm. The vacuum slides would not operate properly. I think you would be best to try and find replacements rather than use silicone.

The float needle should be attached to the float, some types are connected with a spring clip and others fit in a slot.

This pic that was posted in another thread by RVP3 shows how the needle hooks to the float on the latter type.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'd avoid any silicone gasket material in the carbs, period.

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
I think that vac. chamber ring also sets the 'at rest' height of the slide as well as serving as a seal so I would not consider using silicon or any other sealant in it's place.

A pair of junk parts carbs is probably the best option to get these rings unless you get lucky and a forum member can help you out with this part.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
As above.You need that sealing ring.Also when fitted the lip is upwards.Don;t use nay gasket sealer to try and replace it.

Also there are tow types of floats used.The full plastic ones the float needle valve just slides into a groove.The Metal and Plastic ones the float needle valve has a small spring/hook on it.

Either set of floats can be used in any of the CX/GL500s but they MUST be as a pair for each side e.g they must have the matching Float needle valve.

Theoretically you could have a Full plastic float and it's needle valve in one side of the carbs and a Metal and Plastic with it's float needle valve in the other if that's all you could get.

Also they are not,"Handed" so they can be used in either side.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone have a spare set? i called honda and the part has been discontinued. if so, let me know how much $$$ you want including shipping to 43551.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You might send Larry a PM and see if he can help. (LRCXed)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I know a year ago when I rebuilt my carbs they came with the set i bought (from Ebay). Would post the Ebay store but Ebay has now screwed up there system so I can get any past info over 3 months old :-(

I know there were a lot of carb kits, but this one had the air valve gaskets plus a couple of bits for the piston (wish I could remember what they were :-( time + old mans brain = ??? i cant remember what)

Good luck, and I will keep trying to dig trough old Ebay Emails and maybe get lucky .. if so i will post it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.