Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when releasing the clutch in 1st gear it will just pop as if it's not being held in place. all the other gears work fine and has a new clutch assembly. Any help will be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure the lever isn't contacting the exhaust when you press down on the lever.

Has the bike or engine been apart?
the bike has never been apart. but what inside the case keeping the 1st gear in place? maybe shifting forks could be going out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the bike has never been apart. but what inside the case keeping the 1st gear in place? maybe shifting forks could be going out?
also the bike has differ
Bad gearboxes in these is uncommon. Some need an extra hard 1 - 2 change to prevent popping out of second. I give a rev on the change.
it does have a 2 to1 exhaust. ill post a video of the issue to better explain the problem

·
Super Moderator
21,251 Posts
Sounds like partial gear engagement. Instead of meshing the gears are nibbling each other.

Check for lever contact with the exhaust. That's often a cause of non or poor first gear engagement.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Checking the lever isnt fouling on the exhaust and giving limited movement
is always a good first step
This 'new clutch' makes me wonder if the clutch lever and cable just needs some adjustment
as a badly adjusted one can give problems selecting first.
If the above checks don't help
I'd probably put the bike on the mainstand rock the rear wheel back and forth while pressing the lever down
to see if it slips into first easily
If it still won't fully engage, then pulling the engine may be on the cards
But.
If it appears to engage/disenage fully and repeatedly by rocking the wheel,
I'd take close look at the new clutch operation in the basket before pulling the motor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts