Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished the fender. It was a real pain. trying to get the rivets on it and not muck up the paint proved to be a real task. I ran into so many problems with this thing. What should have been one of the easiest things to complete actually took me the longest and gave me the most trouble. I think it turned out pretty good though. It's not perfect but good enough for now. Heres some pics.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm glad it's your butt on that seat and not mine - hard enough with being rigid, hope those seat springs do something, and how slippery is that seat?

overall - I like the look of the bike, and the styling - unique - good job..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What was the problem you had?
I painted it with the black metallic(around 20 coats), installed the first rivet and realized I used the wrong size lengthwise. Tried to drill out the rivet and it spun and chewed up the paint. Got the rivet out and sanded down the area that the paint was ruined. Repainted it and went too heavy in one spot. tried to wipe it and made it worse. ended up basically starting over. got it back to looking pretty decent and when installing the rivets it was next to impossible to not nick up the paint with the rivet gun. So I tried my best to tape off the rivets and lay another few coats of paint on to cover the nicks. worked fine until I removed the tape and it left a sticky residue around the rivets. So I said screw it and began my clear coat coverage. Got it all covered and after 24 hours of cure time went to mount the fender and the rivets stuck out just too far to get it over the tire and below the frame. So I went to grind down the backside of the rivets and laid into it a little too much causing the rivet to get white hot and melt the paint and clear coat to the point of bubbling. Don't have the rivet gun anymore (just gave it away friday) so I was forced to try and smooth out the area that melted with sand paper and a scrub pad. laid some paint over it to cover it up the best I could and then cleared it again. Then I had the hardest time mounting it because I couldn't get the bolts started. So in the end it's finished and on the bike but looks a bit messed up in one spot. I'm fed up with it though so thats how it is gonna stay for now. It ended up being kind of comical.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad it's your butt on that seat and not mine - hard enough with being rigid, hope those seat springs do something, and how slippery is that seat?

overall - I like the look of the bike, and the styling - unique - good job..
You know everybody has been telling me that as soon as I hit rough road or a pot hole I would be wishing I left the shocks on there. This thing is actually extremely comfortable. It's very springy and I haven't thought once that I want the shocks back. I've been all over on it and I love it. Maybe because I don't know what it's even like with shocks? No issues with slipping. The leather and high curve in the back keep me planted firmly in one spot. Thanks for the compliments. I put a lot of time and effort into it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
So if you had it to do over again, what would you change (styling or process wise)? I think the build looks great, just looking to help others out that may go down the same roads you did. I was thinking you could have done the rivets first, taped them up, then done all the painting. Don't get me wrong, that would also be a PITA and I know nothing about paint.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if you had it to do over again, what would you change (styling or process wise)? I think the build looks great, just looking to help others out that may go down the same roads you did. I was thinking you could have done the rivets first, taped them up, then done all the painting. Don't get me wrong, that would also be a PITA and I know nothing about paint.
I thought about doing the rivets first but figured it would be too hard to get the tape just right around the rivets so as to not have any areas that would be missing paint and not have over spray on the rivets. I would do it all the same but now I know to use the smallest sized rivets lengthwise, and when grinding down the backside of the rivet use an angle grinder with a coarse grinding wheel, and grind lightly and slowly so as to not heat up the rivet and paint. I was trying to use a dremel on that first rivet and it just took too much pressure. As soon as I used the angle grinder I zipped the back right off with very little heat dispersion. I would also probably cover the fender with a towel or something to protect the surface while installing the rivets so the gun would not knick up the paint. So paint, rivet, grind, clear coat. I'm thinking about eventually buying another front fender and giving it another go. It's hard to see in the pictures but that point at the end of the fender is where the paint is all mucked up. Not a big deal but it will drive me crazy because thats the way I am.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You know everybody has been telling me that as soon as I hit rough road or a pot hole I would be wishing I left the shocks on there. This thing is actually extremely comfortable. It's very springy and I haven't thought once that I want the shocks back. I've been all over on it and I love it. Maybe because I don't know what it's even like with shocks? No issues with slipping. The leather and high curve in the back keep me planted firmly in one spot. Thanks for the compliments. I put a lot of time and effort into it.
Is the frame more flexible now that you have rivets in it? Maybe thats helping cushion bumps, but is it going to hurt the strength of the frame at all?

EDIT: flexible because you drilled holes into the frame.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the frame more flexible now that you have rivets in it? Maybe thats helping cushion bumps, but is it going to hurt the strength of the frame at all?

EDIT: flexible because you drilled holes into the frame.
The holes are only like 17/64. They are very small and have no effect on the strength of the frame. They are also only drilled into the outer portion of the frame and not all the way through. I initially thought the same thing when I came up with the idea to do it but after I drilled the first few holes I realized it was a non issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.