Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1983 Honda GL650. Runs well and looks okay. In Topeka Kansas area. Would like to see this sell for $1000.00 but I am open to negotiations. 785-207-6306 call or text anytime, ask for Randy. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the plug on selling. I had a fella drop in for a test drive and he dropped it twice. He didn't even make it out of my yard. The next dump was when he stopped at the stop sign. He told me he had been riding for years and could handle a bike of this size!!
I got $50.00 out of him and a promise for him to never ride anything bigger than a 10 speed for the rest of his life!!!! No damage to the bike except the bent clutch lever got bent a little more!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So is the GL650 considerably heavier than a CX650C? If so, maybe I should take it off my list...
I pulled the plug on selling. I had a fella drop in for a test drive and he dropped it twice. He didn't even make it out of my yard. The next dump was when he stopped at the stop sign. He told me he had been riding for years and could handle a bike of this size!!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Not sure of the weight of a CX650c but my Gl500i with luggage , tool kits ,and full tank of gas is 598 pounds , strong legs , arms and a good balance are good for slow moves. Once rolling find it handles reasonably easy .

·
Registered
16 Posts
CX650C has the lightest frame in the whole series, if I remember right. At one time, I had considered it for a cafe racer, but remembered it also has the longest rake of the series.

Randall
I thought my 1980 CX 500 Custom was top heavy, then I bought a 1986 Kawasaki Concours after I dropped it on my test ride and broke the left side foot peg. Guy I bought it from looked sad for a minute until I said I definitely wanted to buy it. It even came with a parts bike same year. Good thing too because it had the foot peg that I had just broken. Seller even installed it for me, and I've been a happy camper ever since. Slow turn stalls are a thing of the past now, I hope.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Slow turn stalls are a thing of the past now, I hope.
If you were stalling the CX in low speed corners, why do you think the Concourse will be any different?
I have a friend who took up riding last year, and I'll tell you the same thing I told her. The secret to low speed maneuvers is to keep the rpms up in a usable range (3k to 5k on the CX) and slip the clutch to control how much of that power goes to the rear wheel.

Randall

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
slip the clutch to control how much of that power goes to the rear wheel.

Randall
I've only owned stick shift cars except for a Corolla wagon in Japan for the last 35 years. (I want an electric or hybrid car, but I will miss manual transmission) It helped when I got back on a motorcycle. But even there, slipping the clutch is much more important on the bike at slow speeds.
A light touch on the foot brake is your friend too for slow speed turning.

When stopping, a tip from MCRider helped me: Always put the left foot down and keep the right foot on your brake. Stay in gear at intersection stops, in case you have to get out of the way quickly. Leave room between you and the car in front and have an escape route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wish they'd said this in the basic rider course. Then maybe I wouldn't have failed the test by putting my foot down in that one skill.

The secret to low speed maneuvers is to keep the rpms up in a usable range (3k to 5k on the CX) and slip the clutch to control how much of that power goes to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Ah, to have the good old overloaded paper delivery bicycle to teach how to ride a top heavy two wheeler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts