Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a new member here, I've been riding for exactly one year, and am starting to do more involved work on the bike. One of my front forks has been leaking oil for a couple months. I've done research on this forum and others to see the steps and took a shot at it myself last weekend, but as always, doing the actual work is more challenging than reading the instructions.

In the process of attempting to loosen the fork tube caps (the ones containing the schrader valves), I stripped the hex structure (part of the cap itself) that is grabbed to twist and remove the cap. It may have some sort of grip yet, but it is pretty badly stripped. Does anyone have any advice as how to remove this cap?

Someone has recommended biting into the (aluminum?) metal with a chisel to loosen it. Another recommendation was to use vicegrips if I can get a grip. I have yet to attempt either way.

Also where do you guys mainly get your parts for things like this, (a new fork tube cap, for example) I've been using bikebandit so far, but I get the feeling it is pretty pricey.

Thank you guys for your help,

Christopher

1983 Honda cx650c
Learning as I go

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Your location would be helpful. Fork caps should be easily available used, as many forks die of corrosion on the tubes, making related parts available. The cap should surrender to the largest vice grips you can get, or a pipe wrench, now that it's already marred up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Richnct, I've already accepted that that fork cap is probably done for.
Is there any specific place that you would recommend I look? I don't have too much experience salvaging or looking for used parts, I'd guess calling pick-a-part yards might be a good idea...

I also will have access to a CAD program and a CNC mill this semester. I don't have too much experience fabricating either, but do you think that would be a viable option?

I'll try out some penetrating oil as well.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts