Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been trolling this site for a while now and have been finding lots of good information but still have a ton of questions. First off the background, my dad had a 1983 gl650 silverwing that he rode day in day out, rain or shine. He loved the bike. About 10 years ago it broke down on him and long story short the timing, $, and will were lacking for home to get it fixed. I've recently come to terms with my own cycle addiction (having bought several bikes in the past couple years) and taken it upon myself to rebuild his bike, hopefully while he's still able to enjoy it.

The bike has only about 38,000 miles , he took great care while he had it and everything's very clean still. NOw I've already narrowed down what killed the bike 10 years ago and unfortunately it was a broken cam chain, tensioner and both guides.

My main questions is, I believe I've found a cx650 motor that I would like to use for parts are those few main parts compatible with the gl650 '83's wonderful one off motor? These have proved to be very hard parts to come by and have only been able to find a new chain and left guide. While I have the motor torn down I'll go through and replace everything else I can think it's well.

Does anyone have a source one parts/gaskets/seals for these bikes? Are any other Honda cam parts interchangable?

Anywho, I'd appreciate any and all help on this project. I'll continue to search past threads as I'm sure these questions have been asked.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Pretty much all of the internals are cross compatible between the two engines.
The output drive shafts will probably be different.
Get Honda oem gaskets wherever humanly possible.
If you cannot find oem Honda head gaskets, contact Joe Hovel on the Australian CX forum.
So far, his are the only non-paper aftermarket head gaskets available that work.
Avoid paper head gaskets like the plague.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts