Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1983 CX650 Turbo, need forum suggestions 4 price?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  edinlr 
#1 ·
First off, it is nice to be on a site where people are really into their bikes in a sportsman way (vs snobby or snarky). A few months I posted some very novice questions about this bike which was my late husband's and you all were very helpful and not at all snarky, which I really appreciated. At that time, I needed to replace the battery (which was easy) and the petcock (which was a bear to do--needless to say it wasn't me who did it.....but I went through a few mechanics until I found one who did it!). So now the bike is ready to sell and I need your advice on which sites are the best to list it on. I am actually having my mechanic broker the bike for me since he will be much more able to answer technical questions than I would be. If you have some ideas as to selling price that would be appreciated.

The bike is in very good condition and has 21k miles. Haven't had a chance to stage it for great photos yet, but this will give you an idea of it

View attachment 150738 View attachment 150706

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and welcome, here on the forum is where I sold one of my bikes. Most of the people here would take good care of it. Would help to know where you are located, and of course your price range. Im sure the turbo guys will be give you prices soon. All the best Gerard

#4 ·
Hi and welcome, here on the forum is where I sold one of my bikes. Most of the people here would take good care of it. Would help to know where you are located, and of course your price range. Im sure the turbo guys will be give you prices soon. All the best Gerard
Gerard, Thanks for your response! The bike is in northeast Florida and the price range I am thinking of is 8-10K Would welcome feedback as to whether that seems like a fair price. All the best to you too!

#9 ·
I just reread this response of yours and I feel this price is way out of reach unless you plan to get the bike into flawless condition. The bike needs to run well, have solid brakes, a new battery, and good tires. It should also have documentation that it has had a "triple bypass". A bike in this condition will be a "survivor" which wears its patina as a badge of honor and will give the bike a higher value than restored machines. You still have to get past the tire kickers who will say this other bike has perfect paint and runs like new - all for $7500! As I told you a few months back, unless you are prepared to invest a bit to get the bike in tip top shape, you will need to set your pricing a bit lower and be patient in trying to sell it. Also, if there is any way to have a shop handle it, that might ease the burden of everyone asking you about stator replacement, or triple bypasses. One other tip is to take a lot of pictures. Take thirty or forty with a great camera, or a new phone. Take close-ups and take some with natural lighting and some with a flash. Don't do them in the garage unless you can get all of the clutter out of the picture. The more professional the pics look, the better. Will it bring $8000 to $10,000 - only if it is in flawless running order and appearance. Good luck.

#7 ·
I think that your best bet to sell the bike is to list it on Ebay at $1000 with no reserve. This means that the highest bid wins it. The risk is that no one bids it up, but that won't happen and the price will be low enough to get six or eight people bidding on the bike. There is a very nice 650 turbo in Daytona Beach that has been professionally restored and listed for a long time on Ebay and Craig's List. He started very high and this turned off buyers. His last auction started at $7000 and made it to $7500. The auction ended, but he still has it listed on Craig's List. Sorry for the long intro, but that gives you an idea of pricing right now. I think your bike will go for $2500 to $3500 on Ebay. Of course people will tell you it should be $6000, so when they do, tell them you will take cash or their check. Good luck on the sale.

#8 ·
I copied this over to the Turbo section (we need to get a few more sub sections). I tweaked the title too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.