Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is selling his 1983 CX650 custom.. He's asking $350 for it.

21,000 miles. Doesn't currently run, as it needs a new starter solenoid, and a new battery. Minor cosmetic things as well.

He said it's had the carb cleaned -- not rebuilt, but they replaced "some parts" (he was vague on this). New tires. Newly lined tank.

Pics are here: http://chris.quietlife.net/tmp/cx650c/

I've not done any repair on motorcycles, but I've done plenty of car work.. pretty sure I can replace the solenoid/battery in my sleep.

I have a couple of questions:

1) He said it ran great right after had the carbs cleaned, but it's been sitting for around a year since the solenoid went bad. How many problems can I expect from it sitting for that long? Any dry rot? Anything I should do?

2) Anything in particular/unique to this model that I should look into that could bite me if I purchase?

Is this as good a deal as it sounds? Any other tips are welcome..

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chris,

Go back to you're profile and fill in you're location and the bike you will be working on. It will help out others when you have other questions. You may have members close to you that can help out if you need it.

I would jump on it if I were you. That's a clean looking bike and it seems to all be there.

As for any bike sitting for a long time you would need to change out all the fluids, clean the brake system out, they tend to bind up when they sit for a long time. And clean and inspect every electrical connection. By looking at it the carbs were running lean in the past. These carbs have a tendency to get plugged up when they sit. The carb cleaning can be found in the general section HERE You'll find plenty of help in there as well as getting advice from the members here.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hell i know if tim aka iron was still around i think he would buy it just for the left side cover.....that is a clean bike thats for sure and i just learned a new thing i didnt know that the choke was on the left hand control i thought it was just like on the cx500's but i guess not and plus the starter button is different also

·
Registered
11 Posts
stop reading this post...

If the engine turns over...buy it

you can't beat 350$ for a clean project bike.

Even if you sink 500$ into it, you have a nice looking bike for less than 1000$

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Also, isn't the CX650 a little more rare?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok look at it like this the left side cover some people will give you there first born child for it. There was another member on the old forum found one on ebay and was gonna spend 600 bucks for it. so jump on that bike for 350.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
If you want to be pretty certain ask him if you can check the oil by changing it.As it leaves the engine let it run through your fingers and see if it's smooth,none gritty and not burnt.Then check in the receptacle the oil is in for metal particles.There should be none or next to none.

If all good then buy it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
ok look at it like this the left side cover some people will give you there first born child for it. There was another member on the old forum found one on ebay and was gonna spend 600 bucks for it. so jump on that bike for 350.

In the pictures it's missing the left side cover. Still sounds like a great deal, bound to be a way to make something out of fiberglass or have it made.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK Guys.... i gave $800 for my 650 c.... BUT!!! i'll let my left side cover go for a mere $395.... LOL i'll be into it way cheap then!!!...... It really sounds and looks like a helluva deal U better buy it fast!! GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
In the pictures it's missing the left side cover. Still sounds like a great deal, bound to be a way to make something out of fiberglass or have it made.

nope its on the seat atleast thats what i can tell

check pic 2 4 and the last one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts