Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Had a weird process of starting my Silverwing after sitting for the winter. When starting it, I pulled both plug wires off to make sure I could hear a spark (tick tick tick), then with both plug wires pushed back on the bike would not start despite choke, no choke etc... I then pulled off the right plug wire, and the bike started up without issue (except it was running on one cylinder). If I tried to start it with both wires on the plugs it wouldn't start. After running it for a bit on the one cylinder, I connected the right plug wire, the motor bogged down, but I managed to keep it running. Eventually I took if for a short drive, and slowly the right cylinder started to "kick in" and eventually the motor was running on both cylinders!!

I did pull the plugs and it is a very weak spark on both plugs, would this be my coils, battery or CDI that is causing this issue?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
check your battery voltage while cranking the ti ignitors wont work correctly with low voltage

open one of the carb drains and make sure you have fuel flow while cranking and that your petcock is not giving you problems filling the carbs

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
At the Honda service seminars I went to they stressed that you should not run the ignition system without having a plug grounded to metal. And the CX/GL valve covers are insulated by the rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
did you drain the fuel bowls before you put it in storage ? Stale fuel is an issue for cx motors , just wont ignite. Plus old gas will crud up the passages in your carbs over time.

Fully charge your battery , open the fuel drain screws to make sure you have fresh gas , and try again.

Reactions: purplecx500
1 - 7 of 7 Posts