Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or know where I can buy new main and rod bearings, or even a complete engine rebuild kit for a 1982 Honda GL500? I heard they are impossible to find but there maybe some bearings off an Isuzu or something that can be machined down to fit? Does anyone know if this is true and if so what the specs maybe? I have a friend that owns a precision machine shop who can do the work if I can supply him with the design specifications. I am not sure what type of material the engine bearings are made from but if anyone out there needs bearings as well and wants to help track down the info and what material is best make these from whether it is altering another set of bearings or making them from scratch then we should all be able to get some for a decent price. The more they make the cheaper it gets. The only set I have are in a decent running bike that I am restoring and would like to rebuild, but until I know I have the parts in hand I am not taking the engine apart and risking putting another running motor out of commision. If anyone has an old set of bearings that are in decent shape he could use to take the measurements from that maybe best unless there is documentation out there that is precise. He can make parts that have zero tolerances but we need to know what the exact sizes were meant to originally be. I would assume that even off an old set of bearings the original sizes could be determined. There is also the possibility to machine the cam and crank at the same time to fit the new bearings. I have yet to present this project to my machinist friend I wanted to get more info first to find out who else is dealing with the situation and what you may have found. Since after all it would be better if we work together to find a solution instead of everyone going off on their own trying to reinvent the wheel. I would prefer to just be able to buy someone out right but apparently they are nowhere to be found? Anyone with any info please let me know and hopefully we can find an economical solution that will benefit us all.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Intriguing information....I'd wager that there are a few guys that would love to see new bearings. The guys who know the specs surely come along soon. Would be nice to get this data in the WIKI and/or JC's site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The bearings in the motor are not a type you can make in a machine shop
Those are just the main bearings the rods are still split. And I have already talked to a manufacturer of the round roller style bearings like wheel bearings and they are willing to custom make them I just need to get them one or their exact dimensions to work from.

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
The engine bearings are white metal on steel shell, not roller bearings.

There are roller bearings in the gearbox but I think all of these are available from a bearing supplier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have contacted a few different bearing manufacturers in India willing to make them I just need to know the bearings exact dimensions they need to be for their stock and then the over and under sizes they need to be to fit not only the stock but also the machined crank and rods. I found these 2 charts for rod and main bearings but not sure if it is accurate. Coming directly from a large manufacturer will drop the price down per set but means I will have to commit to buying a large amount all at once or every month as if a business. Once I can confirm the accurate sizes I will get a bid from a few different companies and see what best price and time frame will be. Most likely in order to swing this and make it affordable for everyone as if buying a normal set of instock rings will mean I will mostly have to pre-sell quite a few sets. So if anyone is interested or knows anyone is interested leave a message here. I am going to contact a few resellers to see if there are any companies that wish to buy in with me so that we can afford to get these back on the market again. Most likely though those companies will take advantage of fact there are only a few of them with access to the bearings for awhile so their retail prices I can only assume would be pretty jacked up compared to a bunch of us coming together to try and reach the manufacturer's minimum buy in instead and sharing the setup cost.

honda-gl500-1982-crank.gif
honda-gl500-1982-block.gif

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
all this is already being done

you can get rod bearings for david silvers spares

main just pull one out of a block

indian bearing companies have to large a variance stick with a know us or uk or de manufacturer

then you need to realize that you will need to make several sizes of each type of bearing or you will wind u keeping most of them

in fact not many people in north america will start buying them till all the used engines are used up

even buy 200 piston sets of rings is a long term investment to get your money back out of and people that have

done this are reluctant to invest the money again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Resurrecting this thread with another question:

GL650 vs. CX500 bearings, is there a difference in the big end of the rod?

Example, David Silver has Green rod bearings, p/n: 13218-415-013, but the Honda catalog calls for 13218-ME2-003 for the same application, but on a GL650.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

·
Super Moderator
21,148 Posts
I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head {though I suspect the short answer is that the 650 journal is likely larger} but to find out I would just check the relevant specs for both motors in their FSMs.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Resurrecting this thread with another question:

GL650 vs. CX500 bearings, is there a difference in the big end of the rod?

Example, David Silver has Green rod bearings, p/n: 13218-415-013, but the Honda catalog calls for 13218-ME2-003 for the same application, but on a GL650.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas
most likely:
This Honda 13218-ME2-003 BEARINGG D, CONNECTING ROD fits the following models and components:
Honda Motorcycle 1983 CX650C A - CUSTOM CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1983 GL650 A - SILVER WING CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1983 GL650I A - SILVER WING INTERSTATE CRANKSHAFT PISTON

this Honda 13218-415-013 BEARING D, CONNECTING ROD (GREEN) fits the following models and components:
Honda Motorcycle 1978 CX500 A CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1979 CX500C A - CUSTOM CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1979 CX500D A - DELUXE CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1979 CX500 A CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1980 CX500C A - CUSTOM CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1980 CX500D A - DELUXE CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1981 CX500C A - CUSTOM CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1981 GL500 A - SILVER WING CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1981 GL500I A - SILVER WING INTERSTATE CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1981 CX500D A - DELUXE CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1982 CX500C A - CUSTOM CRANKSHAFT PISTON
Honda Motorcycle 1982 GL500 A - SILVER WING CRANKSHAFT PISTON