Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I need a left intake manifold for a 1982 Honda CX500 Eurosport but I've been told its discontinued and I can't find any online. Would I be able to change the carburettor and use a Honda GL650 carburettor instead or is there any other carb with intake manifold I can use.

thanks
K

·
Super Moderator
13,428 Posts
No. Because of the longer stroke the intakes on CX/GL650 engines are slightly higher up and farther apart than the ones on the 500 engines and the 650 carbs are splayed (closer together at the inlets, farther apart at outlets) so the manifolds aren't even close to the ones on CX or GL500 bikes.

Non E CX500s have the inlets in the same place as yours but their carbs are farther apart so their manifolds won't work either.

Your CX500E has the same engine and carbs as the GL500 and a nearly identical frame so you can use a manifold from a GL500. Unfortunately nobody is making new ones yet (we keep hearing rumours) so your options are to find a better used one or fix the old one.

What is wrong with yours? If the rubber is cracked they can be fixed. Some have used self adhesive heat shrink tubing but many of us have just cleaned the area well and applied Shoe Goo.

·
Super Moderator
13,428 Posts
The only complete carb assembly I know of that will fit a CX500E is the identical one from a GL500 or GL500I.

IIRC, the carb bodies from CX500, GL500 (& probably many other models) are the same and all CX/GL500 models have the same jetting &c but I believe that the non E CX500 carb assemblies are too wide to fit between the later (GL500/CX500E, CX/GL650) frames. I think it would be possible to use early CX500 carb bodies with the mounting parts and the fuel passage tubes from later CX500E/GL500 carbs but you would also need to use the later ones' shafts &c and that starts to become a big project.

You can also replace the whole carb assembly with high performance Mikuni carbs from Murray's Carbs (murrayf on this forum). Murray's kit isn't cheap but it includes everything you need for the conversion (carbs, welded manifolds, cables &c) and you will end up with more power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only complete carb assembly I know of that will fit a CX500E is the identical one from a GL500 or GL500I.

IIRC, the carb bodies from CX500, GL500 (& probably many other models) are the same and all CX/GL500 models have the same jetting &c but I believe that the non E CX500 carb assemblies are too wide to fit between the later (GL500/CX500E, CX/GL650) frames. I think it would be possible to use early CX500 carb bodies with the mounting parts and the fuel passage tubes from later CX500E/GL500 carbs but you would also need to use the later ones' shafts &c and that starts to become a big project.

You can also replace the whole carb assembly with high performance Mikuni carbs from Murray's Carbs (murrayf on this forum). Murray's kit isn't cheap but it includes everything you need for the conversion (carbs, welded manifolds, cables &c) and you will end up with more power.
Thanks Bob, I'll look into Mikuni carbs, probably easiest way to go as I'm a beginner and this is my first project.
Thanks
K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts